Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Figureing out which plant it was made in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figureing out which plant it was made in...

After looking at another thread that had a picture of the Vernon plant, a question hit me that I never thought of before. Is there any obvious indicator on a stude that says what plant it was made in, South Bend, Canada, LA, etc. Other than disecting the numbers[?] Never thought of that before.[?]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Check the first few pages of your parts book.It will have the serial number begining a each plant.

Comment

The serial number breakdown and/or the build sheet is the real way to tell. There are also other clues/differences, such as on 1953 C/K models; Vernon cars had the C-pillar script on monotone cars and South Bend didn't and Vernon cars kept the tristar emblems through the model year.

EDIT: Of course, for most cars discussed on this Forum, they wouldn't have been made in Vernon because the Vernon plant was closed.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

The serial number breakdown and/or the build sheet is the real way to tell. There are also other clues/differences, such as on 1953 C/K models; Vernon cars had the C-pillar script on monotone cars and South Bend didn't and Vernon cars kept the tristar emblems through the model year.
        Another difference is on 1955 Speedsters, Vernon assembled cars has the gold President script on the rear quarters while the South Bend ones did not.

One other difference I've read about are one plant had the two-tone break on the firewall, while the firewall was all one color on cars that were two-toned from the other plant. I'm sure others will chime in here with other small details between the two as well.

Craig

Comment

From 53-55 there was a gold maple leaf on the glove box door of Canadian built cars.

Terry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

From 53-55 there was a gold maple leaf on the glove box door of Canadian built cars. Terry
            I have also seen them on '57 Sedans on the speaker grille, maybe they were used up to 1958?

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

From 53-55 there was a gold maple leaf on the glove box door of Canadian built cars.
              The differences between Hamilton production and South Bend production could be a subject on its own as there were LOTS of differences; some subtle and some not so subtle. 1963-'66 Larks/Lark-types had 'Studebaker of Canada' on the clock blank, and in some years, the Spring Colors were different from South Bend's.

Craig

Comment

The builder's plate on my '62 is lettered STUDEBAKER-PACKARD OF CANADA, which rather gives the game away immediately! I'm not sure, however, what--if any--variations there are between my Lark and a corresponding 62SF4 built in South Bend. One detail that does seem to have been Canada-only on mine was its original paint colour, P6218 Metallic Blue, which doesn't show up on the US charts.

"Late" (Hamilton-only) 1964s apparently all sported entirely-white steering wheels in place of the two-tone units on South Bend 64s, and some of the badging was different on the post-SB-shutdown 64s too.

S.

Comment

Working...
                X