Dealer Ship History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Ship History

Hi All, Still trying to trace the History of my Packard Hawk,Someone told me that even though Studebaker&Packard were one in the same in 1958,that there were Studebaker dealers as well as Packard dealers at the same time,is that true? Also would anyone know of where a 58 Packard Hawk would go to in November of 1957 from Rail terminal in Bangor Maine? Thanks-- Any help would be much appreciated--- Frankie

What LS # is your Hawk ? Also, you may want to try Mike at www.packardhawk.com. He may be able to help you with any Packard Hawk questions.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Studebaker and Packard merged (actually, Packard bought Studebaker) in 1954. What happened to dealers depended on the situation. Many small towns had a Stude dealer but no Packard dealer, so the Stude dealer was encouraged to take on Packard. In larger cities, there probably already was at least one Packard dealer and several Stude dealers. In such situations, it would depend on how close they were to each other. In many cases, nothing changed. Stude did not want intra-dealer competition in 1955 any more than GM did in 2009.

The Bangor library may very well have local phone books from 1958. The Bangor Yellow Pages would answer your question.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

So she could have gone to either a Packard or Studebaker dealer?? Is tha correct? I'm realy appreciating the help from all of you,Thanks, My Hawk is #116. I tried to get hold of Richard Quinn,and left a couple of E-mails,but no reply as of yet, Thanks again,not many of us up here in Maine----

Comment

Another route to take is contact the Studebaker Museum & order a build sheet. They do have the records for "Packardbakers" . My Hawk was sent to Calabrese by Harrisburg PA. It will tell you the build date, options, etc., and the dealer it was shipped to.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Maine Hawk

So she could have gone to either a Packard or Studebaker dealer?? Is tha correct? I'm realy appreciating the help from all of you,Thanks, My Hawk is #116. I tried to get hold of Richard Quinn,and left a couple of E-mails,but no reply as of yet, Thanks again,not many of us up here in Maine----
            You are not really alone. There are 53 SDC memberships in Maine. There is also an active SDC chapter that covers Maine.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Were we talking about Member Ships or Dealer Ships?

Pat Casey
              55 Commander
              58 Transtar
              62 GT Hawk
              66 Cruiser
              SDC Member since 1983

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HookedonStudies

Were we talking about Member Ships or Dealer Ships?

Pat Casey
                To me, "not many of us" means individuals/memberships, not dealerships.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Maine Hawk

No. They say never to say never, but I don't think it's very likely that your car was purchased from a dealer that sold Studebakers exclusively. It was sold by a Packard dealer, or perhaps by a dealer that sold both brands.

Richard may or may not be able to provide you with a list of the possible Bangor dealerships, but that's not really his job. You should buy a production order from the museum and see if that has any useful info on it. And see what the local library can tell you. They may also have local business directories that would tell you what dealerships were in business when your car was sold.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Edited to correct error (really need to read these things before clicking on "post").
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Sometime a while back there was thread with 14 or so pages of dealerships. Might be some Maine dealers listed.

Take Care

george o

Comment

In 1948 the Bangor, Maine Packard dealer was J.M. Norris Motor Co. at 15 Oak Street
                      In 1957 the Bangor, Maine Studebaker dealer was Knight Auto Sales Company at 54 Cumberland Street

I have no idea if J.M. Norris Motor Co was still in business in 1958 however Knight Auto Sales Company
                      sold Studebakers from at least 1948-1958.

Michael Bostedt
                      Gavle, Sweden

Comment

Packard dealer listings here
                        This website is a free public information store about the vehicles manufactured by the Packard Motor Car Company (PMCC). This include information of the following keywords: packard, car, vin, decoder, ultramatic, clipper, patrican, caribbean, hardtop, convertible, pac, pmc, pi, panther, daytona, thunderbolt, 288, 327, 356, straight 8, l8, v12, senior, junior, Henley, stb, sc, service, technical, bulletin, counselor, manual, 120, 110, 160, 180, 110c, 110b, super, super8, eight, 1956, 1955,1954, 1953, 1952, 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947, 1946, 1942, 1941, 1940, 1939, 1938, 1937, 1936, 1935, 1934, 1933, 1932, 1931, 1930, 1929, 1928, 1927, 1926, 1925, 1924, 1923, 1922, 1921, 1920, 1919, 1918, 1917, 1916, 1915, 1914, 1913, 1912, 1911, 1910, 1909, 1908, 1907, 1906, 1905, 1904, 1903, 1902, 1901, 1900, 1899, forum, v8, information, help, parts, info, specs, specifications

1957 Golden Hawk
                        "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
                        sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                        X