PDA

View Full Version : Shifter realization...parts availability???

Jeff T.
02-07-2007, 11:24 PM
After looking at pictures of a 1962 Lark taxicab with a floor shift over on the general talk side, I had to wonder if I could find the shifter parts to do the same to my "in planning" Lark.

I compared the part numbers of the 62 Lark Taxi floor shifter to the four speed shifter and shifters from the 3 and 4 speed Avanti and had a "Well Duh moment" all of these shifters used a lot of the same parts. So the shifter from a 62 six cylinder taxi is essentially the same part used in a 63 Avanti R1 with a three speed.

I have to wonder... what is the availability of Avanti three speed shifters. One does get the impression from some on this forum that if one can pick up a four speed the three speed goes so what happens to the three speed.

As far as Sasco... If you run a part number and get no hits on the part is the company out of the part or is it just not online?

Has anyone have a line on (or ever seen) a 1555808 gearshift support bracket that bolts on the back of a T86 case for the 1962 Taxi (see page 215 (62s Y1) of the 1959-64 parts book.

I am planning on what I want to do with my Lark once it warms a bit on the Great Plains. I am rebuilding the front sheet metal and I have a 259 coming, I just have to figure out what to do transmission wise.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

StudeRich
02-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Well Jeff, I have found that just the opposite is true of SASCO. If the part number is in their system, many times since the move accross the street to the Engineering Build. the parts cannot be found any longer. Never have they came up with anything not in inventory. Except for limited quantity ebay items that come from Dennis' private stash, I have to assume!

I guess the bottom line here is, do not assume anything, JUST CALL Dennis!

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

As far as Sasco... If you run a part number and get no hits on the part is the company out of the part or is it just not online?

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA