Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I obtain a title for my Stude?

I've had a 1937 Studebaker *I believe the model is Dictator*
    2 DOOR (pretty rare, I can't find another!)
    in my barn for about 18 years now, I have a bill of sales but cannot
    find a title. Title bureau of Ohio cannot find anything in the past 20 years. I've been looking online for someplace to help me get a legit paper but the only place I found cost $1000, and was in Louisiana. Would anyone know where I could get one for cheaper?

It may be that your car never had a title depending on where it came from. If it was bought in another state see what their title laws are. If they do/did not issue a title on older vehicles you should be able to title it with your bill of sale.

If not, Broadway Title in Alabama is available. Just be sure to check with Ohio to see if they will recognize it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

In California, its quite easy to get a title for an old car so long as its been off the DMV records for over 7 years. Just say it was in your barn and left to you from your grandpa, great uncle or whoever. Put a price or value on it, like about $500 and request a new title for it. About $30 and 4 weeks later, and voila, you have a new title. Never volunteer too much information. Do not tell them how or when you bought it or how much you paid. They have no way of telling anyhoo. And NEVER tell them that its been on any public road. If you do, you'll pay all the back fees for a decade. That'll cost ya, big time. Good luck.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

Sometimes we make life to complicated.

Call the DMV in a town other than yours. Tell them your story and ask what is required to title it. If it seems do able just follow up with your local DMV. If you need to do other things you have not fouled up the waters with your local DMV.

Bob

Comment

Be aware that Ohio isn't really happy with titling cars out of the blue. A bill of sale from a state that doesn't issue titles on old cars, Georgia, for instance seems to be acceptable, not sure what else is. Good luck.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Be aware that Ohio isn't really happy with titling cars out of the blue. A bill of sale from a state that doesn't issue titles on old cars, Georgia, for instance seems to be acceptable, not sure what else is. Good luck.

Tom Bredehoft
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Broadway title will get you the paperwork needed for $150.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I didn't mention Broadway Title in my first note 'cause I'm not sure, but I've heard Ohio won't accept their work.

Tom Bredehoft
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Broadway title is NOT the answer to the question
                every time it's brought up.It may be in some states
                but it isnt a title cure all.The idea of contacting
                a DMV is the best approach as well as researching
                Ohio's rules on-line.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

In California, its quite easy to get a title for an old car so long as its been off the DMV records for over 7 years. Just say it was in your barn and left to you from your grandpa, great uncle or whoever. Put a price or value on it, like about $500 and request a new title for it. About $30 and 4 weeks later, and voila, you have a new title. Never volunteer too much information. Do not tell them how or when you bought it or how much you paid. They have no way of telling anyhoo. And NEVER tell them that its been on any public road. If you do, you'll pay all the back fees for a decade. That'll cost ya, big time. Good luck.

sals54

Its that easy you say SAL

Tom (in Iowa 63 lark 2dr)

sigpic

Comment

Massachusetts will challenge any "newly" generated out of state title. What they won't challenge, if done correctly, is presenting a notorized bill of sale, a simple notorized statement of why the car was never titled, a stolen car check, and a titling fee. About 3-4 weeks.....

Comment

Welcome Chris. Email sent.

Comment

I was able to title my Studebaker in Ohio, and the only hassle I encountered were rude State Employees who do not know State Law. My car came from Alabama which does not title vehicles prior to about 1973-4.

BEFORE I went to the Ohio BMV web site, I did my home work and suggest that you do too. I then called the state BMV and spoke with a person who verified what I had read - I got his name and phone number.

First and formost you will probably need an inspection on the vehicle by a an authorized business or the actual BMV (standard registars in Ohio don't do this - visit the BMV web site to see which offices can perform the inspection - the cost is set statewide at $5. The inspection will verify the VIN or the serial number - thats all it does. In Ohio you do not need to prove road worthiness to "pass" this inspection.

SECONDLY, you will need the bill of sale and the inspection sheet to get a title. The County Clerk issues titles as well as the local BMV. Do not take this to a standard registar because they can not issue titles. Again, check the Ohio BMV web site to see which offices in your county will need to do this. ALSO you MAY need to pay sales tax on this vehicles purchase price if you do not have proof that the sales tax (paid to any state) hasn't already been paid. In Ohio, BMV is cash/check operation - you can't put it on your credit card.

At first I tried to deal directy with the OHIO BMV and was so disgusted that no counter clerk in the office had read the law about out of state titling when the selling state is not title, that I left and went to my county Clerk of Courts on South High Street. I also took along a copy of the law and the steps to follow. They were TERRIFIC about it - I was in and out in 20 minutes.

Once you get your title, then you have to get the license plate if you want to drive it. You can buy a historic plate (white plate / black lettering) for Ohio for $25 and its good for 40 years. It limits when you can drive the car, but its a one time fee for most of us.

If I can help more, let me know!

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

Stu, thanks, I'm glad to know that. I don't need the information now, but one never knows when the need will arise.

Tom Bredehoft
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Ohio's rules on-line.
                            True, it will not work in these states:

"IF YOU LIVE IN ALASKA, NORTH CAROLINA, GEORGIA, ALABAMA, OR HAWAII, WE CANNOT HELP YOU. SORRY BUT AT THIS TIME WE CANNOT DO
                            ------ANYTHING IN ANY OF THESE STATES "

I've used them in Md about a half dozen times, but it's not the only option.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Ohio's rules on-line.
                              True, it will not work in these states:

"IF YOU LIVE IN ALASKA, NORTH CAROLINA, GEORGIA, ALABAMA, OR HAWAII, WE CANNOT HELP YOU. SORRY BUT AT THIS TIME WE CANNOT DO
                              ------ANYTHING IN ANY OF THESE STATES "

I've used them in Md about a half dozen times, but it's not the only option.

JDP/Maryland

Question Can a Broadway Title be done outside of these states by someone and then transfered into them?

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X