Gas Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Guage

It never reads full when it is. I have replaced the float. Any ideas on fixes?

Harry

Waldron's Exhaust in Michigan has most all Stude exhaust components. Phone 800 503 9428. www.waldronsexhaust.com

Ken Mccosh, kenneth_mccosh@comcast.net

Comment

That may be good info for people who want to spend too much for a incorrect exhaust system, but I don't see how it relates to our poster's problem! [V]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've decided to live with a gas gauge that reads 7/8 full when it's been filled. This is far better than reading 1/4 full when it's empty.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I wanted to wait to respond until after some smarter guys did. I don't know anything about that sender unit. Does it read "empty" correctly? If it hits empty too soon, does it have an arm/lever that could be adjusted at an elbow or just bent?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

It reads empty, just not full.

Harry

Comment

My gas gauge has never read full but when it gets to a 1/4 tank it will take about 13 gal. that's close enough for me.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Have you tried taking the unit out and seeing if it reads consistently up or down as you move the arm when it is set up on the bench? The gauge works on a change in resistance. I had a 64 ford that read improperly that because a resistor on the back of the instrument panel was bad.

28 dictator
                40 commander
                28 dictator
                40 commander

Comment

Sorry, I apparently clicked on the wrong site Roger. KM

Comment

I'd take the sending unit out of the tank, and connect it to its wire harness and ground with a pair of clip leads. Move the arm through its full travel while watching the gauge. Allow the gauge time to respond, maybe 10-20 seconds.

Any chance the top of the tank has been caved in by fuel pump suction when a non-vented cap was used? Inspection with a mirror might disclose that.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

...my tank registers 7/8th when I know its full. I suspect its the resistance wiring inside the tank unit. I believe Ray F. proffered this solution and I have successfully used it to fix a couple of units......: Fill a container 50% hot water / 50% Draino. Submerge the tank unit (no cork float) in this mixture for 2-3 hours. Flush in a now clean container with hot water several times...Peform a bench test to see if the windings got cleaned....You should get a "full" reading. If not repeat procedure another time. If you don't get what you want, you probably never will. At this time you can bend the wire arm to float for correct tank placement.

Comment

Working...
                      X