232 vs. 259 bell housing..!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 vs. 259 bell housing..!

The 63 Lark sedan project with the 62 259 rebuilt transplant is here again with an issue that about stopped my heart.

On break-in, it ran like a charm for 20 minutes at 2k rpm. I changed the oil and figured out the dripping plug pan problem, pronto.

Wanted to get it going and fine tune the timing, etc, but after working out the deal with the bad new coil, went to start and it and the engine didn't just stop, it seized with a clank. My heart stopped! Took the chance and hit the starter to hear a click.

Okay...after much thinnin' it occurred to me this engine had been in front of an auto tranny and it's got a T86-OD behind it now. A friend sold me a bell housing and clutch plate & housing, (both of which I had re-furbished) and on assembly it seemed to me the housing didn't give the clutch enough room. ?? StudeRich, up the road from me kindly informed me I most probably have a 232 c.i. bell housing thus causing the rub. UGH.

So can I remove my clutch assembly and get one that would work in a 232 so things will fit? I'd really prefer not to have to pull this engine & tranny. Have dialed-in this housing... But will, if I have to, of course. I had no idea there was a difference in b-housings!

Thanks!
    Weary in western Washington

Tom, if you have a 232 bellhousing for a manual trans, it would have the 'early' T-86 bolt pattern and the smaller bearing retainer hole.

The T-86 bolt pattern and bearing retainer size changed in (I think) 1958 when Stude switched to the long tailshaft Trans.

If you have the 'later' bolt pattern T-86, I don't see how you could have a 232 bellhousing.

Is your trans a long tailshaft T-86?

Paul

Edited to remove fat finger mispellings
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yes, Paul, it's a long tailshaft tranny and the bolt pattern appears to have that lower right bolt out a bit (i.e. not a square pattern)

Hmm, the clutch housing fit the holes in the flywheel okay. I don't get it?

Comment

Tom, that couldn't be an early bellhousing tHen. The housing you have should handle at least a 10" clutch.

Paul
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Then I'm going to have to drop the tranny and pull off the bell housing to see what's going on in there. Sheesh, I might as well pull the engine out. oy, all that anti freeze all over my garage floor...

Comment

I changed the clutch and pressure plate in my '62 daytona a couple of months back the pressure plate that the parts house had listed for it locked up on the bellhousing as it turned, Ihad my pressue plate built put it back in and every thing was ok. sounds as tho you have the same problem, the pressure plate is too tall ,hits and locks up on the bellhousing.

James R Jones
            James R Jones

Comment

James, do you have an invoice with a part number for the right clutch?
              Such a wierd problem! Did you change these out with the engine in the car?
              Thanks!

Comment

Is this correct?

Started and ran for 20 minutes. No problems. No odd noises.

Ran it again. Started fine. Ran fine. But when it was shut off it stopped with a clank. Wouldn't restart. Sounded like it was "locked up".

I would think that if it was clutch cover interference, that it would have happened the FIRST time it was started.

I hate to be a pessimist, but it sounds to me like something more serious.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I did change them in the car, i don't have a # for the proper one as it was in the car already,it seems that the Three finger plate works and the diaphram plate is the one that is too thick,The man at the parts house said they don't seem to be makeing the finger clutch any more,i think the 289 uses the same pressure plate as Chevrolet. i am assuming you don't have the pressure plate that come with the car? I had mine rebuilt, it is a finger plate.

James R Jones
                  James R Jones

Comment

I would think so too, Dick.

Moved the lever out of OD and rocked the car forward and back with it in gear. Heard a dragging sound the first few times. Hit the starter and it tried to go but wedged again. :-(

Comment

Sounds to me like your problem might lie in the starter itself of the ring gear. A friend of mine had his Triumph Spitfire lock up like that. Turned out to be a stray bellhousing dowel pin that got wedged between the ring gear and the housing.

Take the starter out, and try rotating the engine by hand with a screwdriver on the ring gear teeth. (backwards is best!) If there is a foreign object in there, that should reveal it. And maybe your ears will tell you where the interference is.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Comment

Just in case someone might click back to this weary thread.... after resetting the distributor, which was about one tower off (duh) it roared to life. I think I have some carb adjustment issues but probably nothing serious.

Will put the timing light on, once I can keep the car running without having my foot on the gas.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Just in case someone might click back to this weary thread.... after resetting the distributor, which was about one tower off (duh) it roared to life. I think I have some carb adjustment issues but probably nothing serious.

Will put the timing light on, once I can keep the car running without having my foot on the gas.
                            Excellent, Tom! . I'm glad I was wrong about it being something serious.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X