Studebaker Rally Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Rally Cars

Back in late 1964 we built a 65 Commander for competition in the Shell 4000 Rally (picture on page 63 of my book "My Father The Car"). It was driven by Pedro Rodriguez and navigated by Bill Leathem. Following the conclusion of the event it was sold to a Vancouver Studebaker dealer. In late 1965 we built a 66 Commander in which I competed in the Canadian Winter Rally with navigator Tom Baldock. We also planned on entering that car in the 1966 Shell 4000 Rally, but unfortunately production ceased before the event took place. That car, if my recollection is correct, was sold to Gallinger Motors in Toronto. I have often been asked if I knew where these great cars ended up and I don't. Does anyone out there have any knowledge or information?
    Stu Chapman

Stu - This is an interesting piece of Studebaker history that I was aware of. If you have the serial numbers of the cars it will greatly assist in the search. If you do not have the S/Ns, a good description of body style, equipment, etc. would be a help in narrowing down the search.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I had info on the rally cars I would be interested in building a clone
      Tom

PS Good luck in your search

sigpic

Comment

Out of curiosity there was also a factory Rambler American rally car circa '67/'68 and that I think that car is still in the Brampton area. Stu may have some luck contacting the CASC or checking their forum.

Comment

This has long been a subject of great interest for me. Studebaker competed in the Shell 4000 and the Trans Canada Rallies for several years. There have been at least two Turning Wheels articles on the subject. I cannot remember the year/month of the first one but the second was rahter recently. I have read somewhere that in 1959 Studebaker competed using a six cylinder Lark which did rather well as I recall. In 1961 Larks took first and second overall and in 1962 a Lark to first overall. For lots of great information and pictures check this site out: http://www.shell-4000-rally.org/

Go to the history link for much of the information including each year's results. Some of the best pictures are in the magazine articles that are posted on the site by year. There was at least one GT Hawk that competed, but I cannot find it in the results. There was a picture of it in the last Turning Wheels article on the subject.

Stu I hope you find the whereabouts of the '65 and '66 cars. It would be great to come across not only the cars you piloted but the one that Pedro Rodriguez drove. I always thought it was some how glorious that Studebaker got him to drive as he was a well known grand prix driver of the time. Good luck in your quest and keep us up to date on what you find.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

I just did not look far enough. There is a GT that is listed in the results in 1967. It was a DNF. There is a picture of it in the image gallery. All the times I have looked through this site and I never saw this picture until now. I do not have my Turning Wheels at hand, but it may be the same picture that was in that latest article concerning the Canadian rally Studebakers. http://www.shell-4000-rally.org/4000...967_152-01.htm

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

To Gary...unfortunately I don't have any VIN info. Both cars were 8 cylinder Commanders and were built with steel underbody shields, four-wheel studded tires for winter competition, Halda navigation equipment attached to the left front wheel as well as other rally equipment. The 65 Rodriguez car had an Isky cam installed, which turned out to be a mistake. I'm thinking that Andy Beckman at the Museum could do a build ticket research to see if he could locate further info. Both cars would have been ticketed as "consigned to advertising department" or perhaps even to me.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

To JRoberts...the GT Hawk in the 67 Shell 400 was of course not a factory entered car and I don't know who entered it. It looks like it was properly prepared as the Halda navigation connection to thre left front wheel is very clear in the photo.
                Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                X