1961 Lark 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Lark 8

I'm helping a friend sell his 1961 Lark 8 Red 2 door hard top Studebaker.

Not sure what the right price is for it.

The body is straight, it runs well and has been garaged for at least the last 30 years.

It needs a going through as far as door gaskets, window mechanics and things like that, all easy repairs. Overall I would call it fair to good condition.

Any help would be appreciated

Your profile does not give your location and your post also does not state where the car is located.

Does it have any rust? If so, to what extent and where (floor, trunk, fenders, etc.)? What is the condition of the interior. Of course, pictures would help the most.

I have an interest in the car, but not if it would have to be shipped a long distance. I used to own a red 1961 Lark VIII hardtop with a Skytop.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

the car is in northern california.

as far as i know there is no significant rust.

i'll confirm that with him though.

Comment

no significant rust.

any ideas on value?

Comment

Not without details or pics.

Automatic Trans, Standard Trans. or Overdrive (Std. 3 Speed W/O.D.)?

Cloth Interior or Vinyl, new original replacement, like new original, damaged original, or non-original reupholstered?

Original Paint, or repainted?

In good used up condition, needing everything, without these details very hard to say, but $3000.00 give $0.00, or take $2000.00, might be close.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok cool.

We'll be taking some pics at lunch so I'll get those details and post the pictures.

[8D]

Comment

Ok here are the pics.

The car was left to my friend's father by a friend of the family in the early 80's. He had a fresh coat of paint put on it, and cleaned it up. Not sure if the interior was re-done at that point or not. I would guess so by the looks of it.

The odometer reads 86347 to the best of my knowledge that is the true mileage.

You can tell by the pics now, but it is an automatic.

Anybody have a value guess based on this info?

Comment

Put it in my driveway and I will give you $2500.

I think that what would be best for you is to put it on eBay with a complete description and pictures. Have a low starting bid and let the market determine the price/value. If you are uncomfortable with this, put a reserve on the sale at the least that you would be willing to take.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Looking at the prices of similar cars the last few monthes, I would venture to say 9500 to 12000.

Comment

where are you seeing those prices?

Comment

It sure looks like a nice car. But with this lousy economy, I'd guess it would bring around $3 to $3.5K. Put it on eBay with pix of the engine compartment too. Good luck!

edp/NC
                      '63 Avanti
                      '66 Commander
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ajarman

Looking at the prices of similar cars the last few monthes, I would venture to say 9500 to 12000.
                        You can buy a pretty nice Avanti or Hawk for that much. Where do you see recent ACTUAL SALES, not asking prices, ANYWHERE NEAR the prices you mention (excluding rare cars like R series engined cars) for Larks.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If that car was an early Mustang or Camaro it might command that $9500+, but Studebakers just don't pull the big money. Not nearly as many people craved a Lark when they were young and couldn't afford a new car.
                          This does appear to be a nice car and I would be proud to own it, but one of the reasons I got into Studebakers in the first place is they are not high dollar cars. Even the higher priced supercharged versions don't pull the big money that a muscle car from the Big Three does.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                          1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

If that car was an early Mustang or Camaro it might command that $9500+, but Studebakers just don't pull the big money. one of the reasons I got into Studebakers in the first place is they are not high dollar cars. Even the higher priced supercharged versions don't pull the big money that a muscle car from the Big Three does.
                            Same here. Studebaker values are fantastic, and combined with the support, knowledge, and parts availability for them, they're one of the best marques in the entire hobby to own.

The only flaw is, as others have said, when it comes time to sell[B)][:I]

I follow the market on Larks daily, a few times a day, from several different sources, and have for several years. I can say that you can expect $3-3500. Possibly more for just the right buyer at just the right time, less if the times won't allow.

Many times folks inherit a Studebaker, and expect it to be far more rare than it is, and therefore worth far more than it is. Sometimes they get mad and frustrated and hold out, and when their expected price is not forthcoming, shove it out behind the garage and let it deteriorate. Sometimes they decide to keep it and enjoy it themselves once they realize they're not going to get much money.

Studebakers are a relatively cheap way to have fun in a fun hobby. If your friend wants to see what the ACTUAL VALUE of his car is, simply watch eBay for a while here:

To sell it, list it on eBay with good, honest description and clear pictures of the key areas. Start with a $100 opening bid and put a reserve on it. We can help you do the listing. Even better, contact a member with good eBay experience and feedback and have them do the listing for you. The small fee they charge is usually more than paid for by the increase in final bid amount. I suggest JDP or Dick Steinkamp.

Our only goal here, being Stude nuts, is to get the car into the hands of someone that really wants it. Being a Lark lover, it's even moreso for me!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

BAMS50/Bob A. - Thanks for the support of my positions (price and eBay) on this.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X