Vapor Lock or ? in 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Lock or ? in 63 Avanti

Folks - recently acquired a 63 Avanti R-1 with R-3 set up ( Paxton, bored 289 to 303 etc. ). After cleaning a significant amount of grit out of the fuel line/filter/carb the car runs well until fully up to heat and then quits after the long uphill climb to the house. Letting it sit an hour or so will see it start right up. Have installed an aux electric pump at the gas tank to aid mechanical pump and used some thermal tape on the Bundy-weld fuel line. Any other ideas what the culprit might be? Thanksl
    Avanti R-1 #2552
    Now set up as an R-3

If the car wasn't running abnormally hot I doubt if it's vapor lock. You might check and see if the filter sock in the gas tank on the pick-up isn't clogged or deteriorated so badly it's clogging the line itself under suction.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Could it be that the pick-up tube in the gas tank is rusted off and therefor sucks air when going up hill? If the tank is full of gas then this couldnt be it though.

SnowLark
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and make certain that you were getting an adequate flow under a load. If you are running out of gas, either it isn't available to the pump; the pump isn't keeping up, or the carb is closing the supply off.

========================
        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
        Martinez, CA

Comment

You would be surprised on how quickly those fuel filter will clog up, so I would change yours.

I have been using Fram G2, about $3. They are plastic, see thru, filters. That was I can see what is happening, and am able to gauge when it should be changed. Great to see that filter catch all that debris.

John

1963 Avanti R2
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

Re check the filter...if you had junk in the lines and the carb than you have it in the tank. If you didn't clean out the tank the filter is probably starting to clog again.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

If the car wasn't running abnormally hot I doubt if it's vapor lock. You might check and see if the filter sock in the gas tank on the pick-up isn't clogged or deteriorated so badly it's clogging the line itself under suction.

Bruce, while I've never had the occasion to remove my Avanti's fuel tank, I've pulled many other Studebaker tanks and have yet to see a finger screen, banana filter or "fuel sock" on any of them.
              Unlike the competition, including AMC.

The symptoms sound like the familiar old story of trash, rust ect in a 45 year old gas tank that needs to be removed, cleaned out and sealed. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

My '70 Avanti had a fuel sock over the pickup when I replaced the entire sending unit. The new replacement did as well. In car of that age it's not unreasonable to have all kinds of debris in the fuel tank. I haven't had to replace many fuel sending units over the years on cars, but this is at least the third I've done...each for the same reason...the sender went bad. The others were so many years ago I don't remember if they had socks over the pickups.

Comment

I was having a problem with my 53 C Cab. (350 SBC). Dying at times. Turned out to be water in fuel tank.
                  Allen

Comment

All good advice folks - thanks - think the fuel filter swap ( been using the clear Fram G2 myself ), fill up the tank and another drive around the area in order. Since I fully drained the tank when the new aux pump was installed ( and saw no debris ) thinking the trash has washed thru and tank may be acceptably clean now but.....
                    Avanti R-1 #2552
                    Now set up as an R-3

Comment

I wish you luck, but draining the tank alone won't cut it, in my experience. I've done the same thing, fuel came out clean but I still had to pull the tank and flush out an incredible amount of debris (and water). Let us know what you find. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
                      X