IS THIS A COMMANDER REGAL COUPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS THIS A COMMANDER REGAL COUPE

It looks like a Regal because of the stainless trim around the windows. The sure way to tell is by the body tag on the firewall. It should say:

16G8 C5

C means it is a Starlight and 5 means it is a Regal trim. 3 would be DeLuxe.

It also looks like it is an early production or it was painted two tone after it was built. There should be a small piece of trim running below the rear window for paint separation, if it is an early model.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

It looks like a Regal because of the stainless trim around the windows. The sure way to tell is by the body tag on the firewall. It should say:

16G8 C5

C means it is a Starlight and 5 means it is a Regal trim. 3 would be DeLuxe.

It also looks like it is an early production or it was painted two tone after it was built. There should be a small piece of trim running below the rear window for paint separation, if it is an early model.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

What do you think this car is worth if buying it unseen except for pictures..
        thanks chad

Comment

What do you think this car is worth if buying it unseen except for pictures..
          thanks chad

Comment

quote: What do you think this car is worth if buying it unseen except for pictures..
            thanks chad
            Gosh, that's a hard one. Someone else will have to guess at that. So much depends on how it runs, is there any rust in the floors, and even how much do you want it!

Comment

quote: What do you think this car is worth if buying it unseen except for pictures..
              thanks chad
              Gosh, that's a hard one. Someone else will have to guess at that. So much depends on how it runs, is there any rust in the floors, and even how much do you want it!

Comment

The owner did say it runs and drives good.But interior and body need work. Judging by the photo the body doesnt look that bad ,Im sure the chrome is in need of replating.With the body looking the way it does, I wonder what condition the floors and such are in.

Comment

The owner did say it runs and drives good.But interior and body need work. Judging by the photo the body doesnt look that bad ,Im sure the chrome is in need of replating.With the body looking the way it does, I wonder what condition the floors and such are in.

Comment

Just from what I can see and what you say, I'd say $3500 would be in the MIDDLE of the variable price rage for THIS car.

Since MOST of the brightwork on this thing is stainless steel, there's not as much "chrome" work as you might expect. Bumpers and bumper guards can be done fairly reasonably. BUT - for '55 - that gaint pot metal snout and the accompanying side grilles (called parking lite housings in the parts book) are delicate and expensive to repair (pits, cracks, chunks missing) and rechrome! And I'll add that I've seen some of these pieces that were recently redone by shops that charged handsomely and RUINED the piece before they applied any chrome to it!!! You have to be willing to PAY and verify how they're gonna approach any repair to the base metal or you're screwed.

Floor holes, trunk holes - easily fixed. What I like about this one is there's no usual rust-thru visible on the back of the front fenders.
                    Get the seller to take some revealing shots of the underside of the floorboards and the trunk floor as well as along the sides and rear edge of the truck opening.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just from what I can see and what you say, I'd say $3500 would be in the MIDDLE of the variable price rage for THIS car.

Since MOST of the brightwork on this thing is stainless steel, there's not as much "chrome" work as you might expect. Bumpers and bumper guards can be done fairly reasonably. BUT - for '55 - that gaint pot metal snout and the accompanying side grilles (called parking lite housings in the parts book) are delicate and expensive to repair (pits, cracks, chunks missing) and rechrome! And I'll add that I've seen some of these pieces that were recently redone by shops that charged handsomely and RUINED the piece before they applied any chrome to it!!! You have to be willing to PAY and verify how they're gonna approach any repair to the base metal or you're screwed.

Floor holes, trunk holes - easily fixed. What I like about this one is there's no usual rust-thru visible on the back of the front fenders.
                      Get the seller to take some revealing shots of the underside of the floorboards and the trunk floor as well as along the sides and rear edge of the truck opening.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks bob
                        The owner is working on sending more pics.It would probably cost too much to have the car transported to me anyhow, I am an hour south of Chicago and the car is in Florida.Do you guys have any advice on companys that transport vehicles and what that might cost?

Comment

Thanks bob
                          The owner is working on sending more pics.It would probably cost too much to have the car transported to me anyhow, I am an hour south of Chicago and the car is in Florida.Do you guys have any advice on companys that transport vehicles and what that might cost?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by M-4077
                            [Do you guys have any advice on companys that transport vehicles and what that might cost?
                            I've used Intercity Lines twice in the past with good results.

One year ago, I paid $1800 for an Avanti to come from South Bend to Spokane. Chicago to Miami is 400 miles shorter..so figure accordingly.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by M-4077
                              [Do you guys have any advice on companys that transport vehicles and what that might cost?
                              I've used Intercity Lines twice in the past with good results.

One year ago, I paid $1800 for an Avanti to come from South Bend to Spokane. Chicago to Miami is 400 miles shorter..so figure accordingly.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X