Avanti heater motor needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti heater motor needed

Getting very close to getting our 63 R2 Avanti back on the road. But today discovered that the heater motor/blower is so hot you cannot even touch it. It still works, but is noisy and slow.

Does anyone know of a replacement motor available? I looked at the SI catalog, and they have nothing. I did search the archives, but could not find anything that would fit the Avanti.

TX, John in VA

1963 Avanti R2
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

Getting very close to getting our 63 R2 Avanti back on the road. But today discovered that the heater motor/blower is so hot you cannot even touch it. It still works, but is noisy and slow.

Does anyone know of a replacement motor available? I looked at the SI catalog, and they have nothing. I did search the archives, but could not find anything that would fit the Avanti.

TX, John in VA

1963 Avanti R2
    I sold the entire heater assembly on ebay last week, should have one or two more coming up shortly.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

John, they pop up on ebay, NORS, frequently. They don't sell for a ton of money either.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Try Studebaker International, SASCO used to have NOS ones

Jim

Comment

I got one for my neighbor a couple years ago from SASCO (now SI). Nostalgic Motors probably also has them.(www.avantiparts.com)

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk
          1964 Convertable
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

SASCO had them new...I would guess SI has them now. Those motors can also be rebuilt by a competent rebuilder, but the new motors available aren't that expensive.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

thanks all, I will call the vendors today to see what they have. Or just wait and watch. John in VA

1963 Avanti R2
              John
              1963 Avanti R2
              Marshall, VA

Comment

Fixed for now. A mechanic's recommendation was to just drill into the rear bearing case and oil. He said that 99% of the time that this would fix it for the next twenty years. I did it today, being careful to blow out all the debris. Went very carefully until I could see the shaft turning on low. Added some light machine oil and she took off. Probably tripled the rpms. The groaning noise got considerably less too. After running on high the motor was warm, but not blistering hot. I could hold it without wincing in pain. So for now the motor is working fine, but I will continue to look for a replacement.

1963 Avanti R2
                John
                1963 Avanti R2
                Marshall, VA

Comment

I have used an Everco motor for that application in the past. The identification on the label read as follows: Everco M868B E2807-406-040 27K 12V. For clockwise operation - Hi-orange, Lo-red, Grnd- black, yellow to green. It is physically the same, mounts the same and worked well.

Comment

Mine seems to have just one speed. Should there be two?
                    Could it be a dirty/bad switch and not the motor?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

yes and yes.

Comment

Working...