Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Window Seals

Guys,
    I did a search but could find nothing on replacement rubber seals for the vent windows and the top of the door frame. All of the other rubber on the car is good except these two places. I am getting a lot of wind noise right at the top of each window.

If anyone has a source for new seals I would appreciate that information.

Thanks and

Best Regards

Steve

have you called Bill Fennessey? If he doesn't have 'em, he knows where to buy 'em.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Steve,

I had a similar wind noise problem on my '78 due to the seal above the glass not being tight enough against the top of the glass. Before you replace the seals, try this: Get a roll of "caulk saver" at the hardware store. It's a plastic foam rope, about 3/8" in diameter. Cut a length to suit the top of the window opening. Pull down the lip of the seal, and insert the caulk saver above it. This will serve to expand the seal a bit and make it fit more tightly on the glass. This worked well on my Avanti.

Another source of wind noise is leakage at the seal for the front of the vent window frame. Here, I used a 5/16" x 3/4" adhesive backed weatherseal, attached to the stainless trim of the door opening, in front of the vent frame. That helped, too. Now I can actually hear the radio at 65 mph!

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

have you called Bill Fennessey? If he doesn't have 'em, he knows where to buy 'em.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        Thanks Nate, No I have not is he a vendor?

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Steve,

I had a similar wind noise problem on my '78 due to the seal above the glass not being tight enough against the top of the glass. Before you replace the seals, try this: Get a roll of "caulk saver" at the hardware store. It's a plastic foam rope, about 3/8" in diameter. Cut a length to suit the top of the window opening. Pull down the lip of the seal, and insert the caulk saver above it. This will serve to expand the seal a bit and make it fit more tightly on the glass. This worked well on my Avanti.

Another source of wind noise is leakage at the seal for the front of the vent window frame. Here, I used a 5/16" x 3/4" adhesive backed weatherseal, attached to the stainless trim of the door opening, in front of the vent frame. That helped, too. Now I can actually hear the radio at 65 mph!

Jim Bradley
          Lewistown PA
          '78 Avanti II
          Jim, great idea I am going to give that a try.

Thanks
          Steve

Comment

door/window weather strip for earlier Avanti

Originally posted by Avanti82 View Post
            Guys,
            I did a search but could find nothing on replacement rubber seals for the vent windows and the top of the door frame. All of the other rubber on the car is good except these two places. I am getting a lot of wind noise right at the top of each window.

If anyone has a source for new seals I would appreciate that information.

Thanks and

Best Regards

Steve
            I purchased all my rubber seals from Studebaker International for my 67

Comment

Working...
            X