Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Paint Formula US & Canada Differant

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa
    Canadian Industries Ltd (C-I-L) was a paint supplier to Studebaker of Canada. That was part of the 'Canadian-Content' regulations.

Craig

Comment

So if you had a Canada Bordeaux Red Stude which needed a fender painted and you tried to paint it using the US formula would you have problems?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

So if you had a Canada Bordeaux Red Stude which needed a fender painted and you tried to paint it using the US formula would you have problems?
        To be honest, I've never had the two side-by-side to make the comparison. It would be interesing to take something small that almost never saw much light since new such as a front door top hinge cap to a meet. Then a comparison can be made.

Perhaps maybe StudeRich can remember seeing what he refers to as 'late' or 'second series' '64's from Hamilton sitting on a dealer's lot at the time, and noting if there anything noticeably different in the paint shades between Hamilton and South Bend cars.

Craig

Comment

...certainly you're not asking about matching 50 yr old paint today ?? If that's what you're after ....do the paint/camera procedure.....

Comment

I certainly am NOT asking about matching a 50 year old paint today. I am asking if Studebaker was foolish enough to formulate two differant paint formulas and call them the same name! For all the ten colors offered in 1964! Does it matter that one paint is "Alkyd-Melamine Pigmentation" and the other is "Oxidizing Alkyds"?

Comment

Yes, it does matter what base they started with. Did they arrive at the same color? Sounds like it. You could not touch-up one with another. But can you set them side-by-side, and call it a match....maybe.
              How good are your eyes?

Comment

As you mention paint , I have a '66 in the paint shop as we speak and they stripped the original paint off parts of the car . The owner of the shop told me that some of the original paint was lacquor and would not strip off , he said that paint was under the hood and inside the trunk . Basically he said they used 2 different types of paint on the car.

[IMG]
                Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                1966 Daytona SS
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I might say (MAYBE)??? I feel there is no panel to panel match!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                  X