Vapor Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Lock

I learned about vapor locks on a 52 Land Cruiser when I was 12 years old. We were on a trip to NY along with the family in the Oldsmobile. We had this happen several times in high altitude.
    Allen

The only thing I know about vapor-lock is that is is caused by a metal fuel line getting hot and the fuel can turn to vapor as it gets to the carb. The one fix that comes to mind is wooden cloths pins...

Put several wooden cloths pins on the fuel line and they will act as heat-sinks cooling the fuel.

Comment

Wood is not a "heat-sink" it is an insulator. So maybe the cloths pins actually insulated the fuel line from the engine heat. Neal

quote:Originally posted by Carlos Murphy

The only thing I know about vapor-lock is that is is caused by a metal fuel line getting hot and the fuel can turn to vapor as it gets to the carb. The one fix that comes to mind is wooden cloths pins...

Put several wooden cloths pins on the fuel line and they will act as heat-sinks cooling the fuel.

Comment

The only sure cure (and it's not guaranteed) is a return line from just before the carb, back to the tank. It keeps fuel flowing so it won't vaporize. You must put a .040 restrictor in it though, or it will all go there and none to the carb.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

My 1950 Champion vapor-locked regularly until I replaced the OEM fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb with a longer line that I routed out away from the manifold. It hasn't given me any trouble since. I have heard about the clothespin fix regularly, but I don't see how it would help the problem, either.

1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Neal in NM

Wood is not a "heat-sink" it is an insulator. So maybe the cloths pins actually insulated the fuel line from the engine heat. Neal

Yah, that sounds more like it...

quote:Originally posted by Carlos Murphy

Comment

Working...
            X