Is this abit over priced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this abit over priced?

I went in to my local WESCO today, and priced out some DP-40 epoxy primer in white, with the catalists and reducer, and a pint of POR-15. The total is $460.97 out the door.[:O] The pint of POR-15 is 29.95, but that is still ALOT of $$$$ in my opinion! This is for a gallon of the primer, with the necassary stuff for it. Is this over priced?

Dylan Wills
    [IMG][/IMG]
    '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

I suggest you do an internet search for these products and see how the prices compare.

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

What's the break down? good proucts will run $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Joseph R. Zeiger
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Are you talking about the DP line in PPG products? If you are,a gallon would cover a whole house.I use PPG exclusively,and can usually do a whole car with a quart. [mixed 2 to 1 with catalyst nets a quart and a half sprayable.] But I never use their white.It is a weird material.and even under a white top quart I use their gray. Buy 2 quarts and return one if you don't open it.

Oglesby,Il.
        " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The break down? Here you go:

The gallon of the DP-48 (for some reason I thought it was 40) is 207.00
          The catalist is 123.36
          Cool weather reducer is 61.82
          Pint of black POR-15 is 29.95
          9.2% tax is 38.84
          The total is 460.97

Yes, this is the PPG stuff. I'll look into the quarts, anything to cut costs,LOL! Just curious here, but what is weird about there white primer?

Dylan Wills
          [IMG][/IMG]
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

Here you will find prices for PPG primers and catalyst.
            DP-48 gallon primer is $159.25 and a two quarts of catalyst is $95.90
            You would need to add for shipping, but I don't think you have to pay sales tax being that you are in a different state than where this business is located.

SnowLark
            sigpic

Comment

If your PPG dealer is a platinum distributor, they will carry the "Shopline" paint products from PPG. I don't remember exactly what it cost, but I picked up a gallon of epoxy primer and hardener for less than $150 out the door. I'm restoring a stock '50 Chevy pickup for a friend and plan on using Shopline products from start to finish. Total material costs should be under $400 instead of well over $1000 using top shelf products.

Remember that low cost products of today are probably better than show car products 25 years ago. Unless your building a high end show car, I don't understand $400-$600 a gallon for product. If your trying to match a custom color or using pearl, I would use a better line for that.

I'm sure others will have there take on it, but when did it become necessary to buy high end paint products for nice drivers? My Craftsman wrenches work nearly as well as my Snap-on and Mac ones.

Skinny
              Watertown, SD
              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I agree with Scott (Skinny). Dont waste money on the high-end stuff when the lower end will give equally pleasing results.

SnowLark
                sigpic

Comment

Agree on the Shop-Line ppg.I use a lot of it,the only thing I don't like it the base coat color for bc/cc jobs. Reducer is not used with the shop line or dp. With dp you can reduce a little with 860 or 870,[I think they say no more than 10%],but it doesn't work well.

Oglesby,Il.
                  " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Funny, How the Government, trying to protect it's citizens forces the prices out of sight. Here in Southern California you cannot buy the stuff anymore. It used to sell for $20 a quart and $12 for a quart of catalyst. At the swap meet I can buy quarts of DP 40 which is Grey-green for $5. But no one has the catalyst. Went into my local friendly paint store and asked for some catalyst and they looked at me like I asked for dope.

Comment

Ok guys, thanks! I'll look into the shop line products. BTW, this will be a single stage paint job incase you guys are wondering, I'm not going to deal with clear on my first one,LOL!

Do you guys think the 30 bucks for a pint of POR-15 is fair? Or to high? I'm not familier with POR-15 prices, so just wondering.....

Dylan Wills
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

They also want $30 for a pint. They have a different brand of material for much less money (SEM Rust Shield) at $21.86 for a quart of black (other colors available). I bought Eastwood's answer to POR-15 for about $100 for a gallon and am satisfied thus far.

SnowLark
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks! Maybe I'll just pony up, the caso I am is having a problem with that,LOL!

Dylan Wills
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Unless you think you will used up all the POR15 at once, better off buying the small cans. I've never been able to reseal the cans and have it last very long. There are some suggested tricks I have read about and a few I tried did not work for me. The past couple times I bought any it was the "6 pack" of the tiny cans since usually I end up tossing a 1/2 full one of them and I lose less than a 1/2 full qt or pint can.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Check this out: http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/...+KIT-KEP507-GL
                              It's 'Kustom Shop' epoxy primer kit (1 gallon primer plus reducer and catalyst) for just $114.95.

SnowLark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X