Casco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casco

The other day, I had a potential customer who wanted a steering wheel from my inventory. From our conversation, I told him that I stock the steering wheel he needed. There was no discussion of condition and cost of steering wheel to this person who wanted the steering wheel. As the day goes on, I get an email that he is willing to pay me $25.00 for the steering wheel. I thought about this for awhile and said to myself, I have a gorgous NOS steering wheel which was never used for his evaluation. Now , this item is back in my inventory and not for sale for any price. What say you. This is common in my bus. They jugde first without asking condition. I quoted a front 1950 bullet nose front fender. He came and looked and asked questions. That was smart on his part, because it was near or close to NOS. Customer left smiling. I stock the best sheetmetal parts in Northern Ca. What say you?

Hi, Roy,

There are no false stereotypes. For a stereotype to exist (i.e.CheepA$$StudeOwner) enough people have to have experienced it and agreed it often is seen. Where we get into trouble with stereotypes is when we say "all" and "every." Suggest we allow each person to show us who/what he is.

Having said this, there are a lot of CASOs. Any given shopper who hasn't met you, hasn't seen your inventory, doesn't know your reputation, is likely to come off as a CASO.

When he is shopping for lowest price without knowing your stock, he might think you are just a guy who bought some property with a bunch of junk Studes on it and just wants to move the stuff off his place - it's happened to many of us. Seller doesn't know what he has got, doesn't know condition or price, is just wanting an offer.

Maybe those of us who are selling parts and have a fixed price should take a couple of minutes to explain what we've got, what it's worth and how we arrived at that. Waiting for a shopper to make an offer may be putting him at a disadvantage, because maybe we've sold several of these and he's never bought one before.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez
      As the day goes on, I get an email that he is willing to pay me $25.00 for the steering wheel. I thought about this for awhile and said to myself, I have a gorgous NOS steering wheel which was never used for his evaluation. Now , this item is back in my inventory and not for sale for any price.
      What price did you have in mind for this steering wheel?

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
      ~Nitram~
      57 Transtar

Comment

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

The other day, I had a potential customer who wanted a steering wheel from my inventory. From our conversation, I told him that I stock the steering wheel he needed. There was no discussion of condition and cost of steering wheel to this person who wanted the steering wheel. As the day goes on, I get an email that he is willing to pay me $25.00 for the steering wheel. I thought about this for awhile and said to myself, I have a gorgous NOS steering wheel which was never used for his evaluation. Now , this item is back in my inventory and not for sale for any price. What say you. This is common in my bus. They jugde first without asking condition. I quoted a front 1950 bullet nose front fender for $150.00. He came and looked and asked questions. That was smart on his part, because it was near or close to NOS. Customer left smiling. I stock the best sheetmetal parts in Northern Ca. What say you?
        What say me? I say, do you have a steering wheel in black/white for a '57 Packard? If so, what condition is it in?

Chip
        '63 Cruiser daily driver
        '57 Packard wagon on the road!
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

While the typical thought in negotiations is the the first to name a price is the loser, I think if someone is selling something, they need to put a price on it. Not 'make me an offer' or some silly thing like that. What do you want for that?

If someone won't tell me what they want for something, I'll make a silly offer too. Again, tell me what you want or don't be insulted. Now I won't say I was in on the call, but if Roy didn't or wouldn't give a price, he shouldn't be surprised or hurt or insulted. The guy made an offer. He made an offer of $25. So what? What's your counter offer? Are you selling parts or selling pride. Again, what do you want for it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Steering Wheel Sold.

Comment

Mr. Roy...I am in need of a Drivers door for 1955 Ultra Vista Conestoga or 2 Door Sedan. I would certainly prefer rust free. I asked this in an earlier thread.

Thanx...Al

Live your dreams!
              Live your dreams!

Comment

Hi Roy-

Usually if someone has an item for sale and instead of giving a price say "Make me an offer", I just move on- for this exact reason. Sellers want as much as they can get for an item, and buyers want the item for as little as possible; that's just natural. A successful sale usually happens when the two meet somewhere in between. What if someone has no idea what a seller wants- or even what it might be worth? I don't make offers until I know a seller's price because I don't want to risk offending somebody.

If I'm selling I feel it's my responsibility to give a price. The buyer can agree, pass, or make a counter-offer; none of those are wrong. Of course, there are many facets to this subject; sometimes you get a chiseler that's unreasonable, and those you just dismiss. The trick is determining whether somebody is a chiseler or not. If somebody is given a price you know right off if they're in the ballpark or not. When they are forced to make an offer, they might do things like judging without asking. Not a good situation for either party.

I say, give a little more flexibility to buyers. We only hear about the CASOs and chiselers, but my experience is that the vast majority are fair and decent. Try not to pre-judge, and give the benefit of the doubt- decent until proven otherwise. Give them a price, negotiate with the reasonable, and discard the rest with a smile

That's my NSHO

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

ah ha .. you do have a price!! .. you sold the steering wheel ...

I have a million wild stories about selling nos and nice parts myself ...

it's like that all over Roy ... no respect.. cold insults

Come watch the fun at Turlock Swap Meet next week .. ( I've witnessed a fist fight between a buyer and seller a few years back .. just crazy)

A good buddy of mine was at the Harrah's Swap Meet ages ago selling rare parts.
                  one guy came up and offered him half of what the price he was asking for a stainless steel trim part for a vintage Packard .

the buyer stated he had been looking for that particular part for 3 years ..

.. Jerry had drank a few too many MGD brews during the swap meet and it was getting toward the end of the day ..

and Jerry didn't respond to the buyers offer since it was an insult .. the buyer again pressed him and offered 1/2 the asking price ..
                  before I could stop him he grabbed the stainless steel trim and bent it in half and handed it to the buyer .
                  "yep now it should be worth just about half price now ." ....
                  some people never get the message ....

John
                  Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

John
                  Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

LOL! Reminds me of my brother-in-law. Used to set up a couple tables at a flea market with odds and ends, mostly for the fun of it. He'd open the side doors of his old Dodge cargo van, drag out the tables, lay out the stuff, and enjoy the people.

One day he had a couple ladies come by. One picked up a nice little hand-painted figurine, about 4" high. Had a price sticker of 25 cents. Floyd watched the ladies carefully examine and confer over it for a good 10 minutes. Finally one lady said "Twenty-five cents?? I dunno, it's got a little chip here- I'd say not worth more than a dime." Floyd said let me see it, she handed it over, and he instantly wheeled and fired it overhand into his van, shattering it into pieces! I saw the ladies about jump out of their skin[:0] He turned and smiled at them and said "There we go, wouldn't want to sell you imperfect used flea market goods!"

I stood up, walked over, and put twenty-five cents from my pocket into his cash box. I had gotten the bargain of the day[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

a note about Roy

I visited his Hill Top hideaway .. (very tricky to find)

he has amassed a huge inventory of 50-51 parts and cars ..
                      plus the knowledge of what fits where ..
                      I got to ride in a "4 wheel drive parts getter" a Chevy S10 4WD Blazer sliding around on his mountain top to get to the storage units

he works real hard sorting and inventorying the parts ..

he has the Studebaker disease real bad ..
                      I take my hat off to him for adopting all those parts cars and supplying the hobby ...aka ..us cheap old Stude lovers

he would probably make more $$$ as a US Census Taker

and heads up he's now heading into the 62-64 Hawk territory...
                      he got bit by a cheap Hawk needing an interior etc ..

John
                      Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

John
                      Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

[u]Originally posted by royvaldez</u>
                        Now , this item is back in my inventory and not for sale for any price.

[u]Originally posted by royvaldez - 01/20/2010 : 1:29:07 PM</u>
                        Steering Wheel Sold.
                        Jeepers. Ummm...what just happened here??[?] Less than 3 hrs later...it's gone.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
                        ~Nitram~
                        57 Transtar

Comment

What say you? [)]

Comment

Roy,

What kinda NOS steering wheel was it? I could use a few. Bo
                            Bo

Comment

25.00 seems like it is about the very bottom of the price range for a steering wheel in somewhat useable condition i.e. a lot of cracks and maybe some chunks missing. I paid well ove 100.00 for a nearly n.o.s. wheel for my 58 commander. It had 2 hairline cracks in it, but barely noticable.

Comment

Working...
                              X