Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GH project FS in AZ

Looks like a decent start:

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Wow

What a collection of C/K bodies. Gotta love the AZ weather.[8D]

Bob

Comment

It would probably cost 25K to turn that in to a 40K car...if you did all the work yourself; no outsourcing.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

It would probably cost 25K to turn that in to a 40K car...if you did all the work yourself; no outsourcing.
        You are pretty close, I did a nicer one for 22K maybe 7 years back, doing all but paint/chrome and interior.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Probably right, Brad. But if someone's dream is to own a GH but can't or won't shell out what it takes to (usually) buy one, this looks like the way to go!

Just for reference, I went to a local estate auction in June 06. There were 80+ classic cars; truly amazing sale! They had a GH there- very rusty underneath, hit HARD on the left side and repaired with literally 3" thick bondo on the B-pillar. Complete car, but had not run in years; sat in the barn. Sold for $7935![:0] And I thought it was about a $1K car[:I] It's the same place where the one-owner 63 R2 Avanti with 30K original miles sold for $19K.

R-M still has the cars on their site. See the GH here:

If you go to the bottom of page one you can see the Avanti as well. THE most incredible auction I've ever been to[]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Here's another on CL:

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Ad belongs to Rick Hingeclif and is a nice guy, he got most of the cars you see for Chuck Naugle.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Bit more info:

remember this is a real 57 golden hawk, and there is no rusted/broken frame, no serious rotted out doorposts, i have heared of people having to rebuild the a posts. and it seems that it would be easyer to save a solid real goldenhawk than to rebuild a rotted, rusty one. this one needs front floorboards, which is easy compared to major restructure of the whole floor, cross boxs, the frame, frame braces, etc.

also i am located 8 miles west of the 2010 studebaker international meet, held in phoenix/glendale arizona and can store it indefinitly.

Only $1225 bid with 2 days left...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

...and another, from the Swap Page:

For Sale 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk Bruce Mattern
                  stangwh289@yahoo.com
                  102 Woodbury Street
                  South Hamilton, Mass 01982
                  978-468-1585

Up for offer is my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk with rebuilt original super charger 289 V8. automatic transmission, power brakes, power steering, new dual exhaust system. NOS chrome, no rust needs to be finished, as the interior is original and so is the paint. Color gold with white. Car is complete and original purchased from second owner many years ago, car sat in dry barn. Anyway would like $8000.00 or bo presently trying to thin out the herd. Email questions or for pictures or call 978-468-1585 Thanks Bruce

Ad Number: 6227

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Probably right, Brad. But if someone's dream is to own a GH but can't or won't shell out what it takes to (usually) buy one, this looks like the way to go!

Just for reference, I went to a local estate auction in June 06. There were 80+ classic cars; truly amazing sale! They had a GH there- very rusty underneath, hit HARD on the left side and repaired with literally 3" thick bondo on the B-pillar. Complete car, but had not run in years; sat in the barn. Sold for $7935![:0] And I thought it was about a $1K car[:I] It's the same place where the one-owner 63 R2 Avanti with 30K original miles sold for $19K.

R-M still has the cars on their site. See the GH here:

If you go to the bottom of page one you can see the Avanti as well. THE most incredible auction I've ever been to[]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Well the guy has had the GH for more than 3 years, I wonder how far along he has come with the restoration, how much cash, and time he has invested.

Comment

First Avanti I have seen with a luggage rack on the roof and a 1964-1966 circle S hood ornament on the front fender!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

First Avanti I have seen with a luggage rack on the roof and a 1964-1966 circle S hood ornament on the front fender!!

Funny story about that: This car was sold by the wife and son of the original owner who ordered the car from Studebaker. He was a Studebaker/Oldsmobile dealer. He decided he wanted one for himself and set about ordering the car exactly as he wanted it. I specifically asked the son about the TWO hood ornaments- one on each fender. He told me those, and the roof rack, were on the car when it came off the truck. He claimed the dealer (his father) ordered it that way, and the factory had no problem with making it like that. Later I found out that Studebaker was indeed willing to do most anything a buyer wanted, so it may well be true.

The buyer at this sale was a friend of the family. He was 9 years old when Mr. Stevens drove the car home the first day. Mr. Stevens offered to take him for a spin in the car, to which he excitedly agreed. The ensuing 100+ MPH ride scared the #$%& out of him, but left an impression from which he never recovered[8D]. After he had grown up he tried many times to buy the car from Mr. Stevens. He would never consider it, although for decades the car was almost never driven; same as his 80+ other cars. On sale day the Avanti had 36K actual miles.

As Mr. Stevens aged and his health deteriorated, his family tried to get him to start selling off his cars. He absolutely refused- could not bear to part with even one. He said that owning them gave him immense joy whether he could use them or not, and asked his family to indulge him, then as soon as he passed have a big auction and sell everything. They honored his wishes.

Fast forward to sale day. The buyer of the Avanti, upon hearing of Mr. Stevens' wishes, set about gathering and saving money to buy his childhood dream car- not one just like it, but the actual car! On auction day he did so, and looked like the happiest guy there. I wish I had gotten his name, and I wonder if he's still got the car.

I bet, barring any difficulties of life, he does[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                        X