PDA

View Full Version : fluids

Harvey
02-05-2007, 08:56 AM
I have 1961 Hawk Borg warner transmission. I am using F trans fluid, which is the fluid recommended in the manual. Is anyone using anything different, such as, Dexron or Mercon?
I am also using a 15w/30w diesel rated oil in the engine. I am told a diesel rated lubricating oil is better. It is more tolerant of higher hydrocarbon emmisions. Anyone have a different opinion? Oil pressure reads 60 psi on startup, and after warmup, 20 psi @ idle and 40psi during normal operation. Thanks for you opinions. Harvey[?]

Studebayker
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good start on the fluids. I'm using type F in my DG 250, and it shifts well. I'm using Shell Rotella 15w40 in the
engine, but she's giong to get rings, and rod bearings soon. Unless
the cylinders are tapered too much.

James K. Clark
Rutledge, Tenn.
'55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

rockne10
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm using Dexron in my 51 DG200 and in the 61 FOM. The shifts are confident but not uncomfortable. I've heard here type F gives a firmer shift. I also use Rotella 15w40 in the 33, 51, 53 and in my S-10. I use it in old tired engines and in fresh rebuilds.

Harvey
02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Studebayker

Sounds like a good start on the fluids. I'm using type F in my DG 250, and it shifts well. I'm using Shell Rotella 15w40 in the
engine, but she's giong to get rings, and rod bearings soon. Unless
the cylinders are tapered too much.

James K. Clark
Rutledge, Tenn.
'55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Dick Steinkamp
02-06-2007, 10:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Harvey
I am also using a 15w/30w diesel rated oil in the engine. I am told a diesel rated lubricating oil is better. It is more tolerant of higher hydrocarbon emmisions.

You are on track, Harvey, but I don't think the engine oil gives a hoot about hydrocarbon emissions. The diesel oil contains zinc and phosphorus compounds to properly lubricate our flat-top lifters and cams.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4091&SearchTerms=rotella

These additives are missing from today's ignition rated oils due to the fact that they can find themselves into the catalytic converters and "poison" them.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg