PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical brakelight switch for '64 Lark

blackhawk
02-05-2007, 04:26 AM
I want to install a mechanical brakelight switch in my '64 Cruiser. Sure would appreciate it if some of you who have done this before would post the switch manufacturer and part number that you used and some instructions or photos. I did search the posts for info but did not find anything. There is a tab with a 5/16-inch hole just behind the arm of the suspended brake pedal but there isn't much room to mount a switch and I don't know if I can find one with small enough end to fit in that small hole. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dale

Mike
02-05-2007, 09:51 AM
The '64 Lark brake and clutch linkage is probably similar to the Avanti's. I used a Borg Warner S237 mechanical brake light switch, from Napa, on mine. I made a bracket out of an aluminum scrap that is secured by the clutch and brake stop bolts; and off sets the switch 1 1/2" from the hole you describe. That hole appears to be for a brake pedal stop bolt; but was unused by Stude. If you use it, make sure the pedal can return all the way, with a little extra space.

Jeff_H
02-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I have a modified suspended pedal setup from a '63 lark in my '53. Its probably the same as the '64. There is a bolt with a rubber cap on it for the pedal stop under the dash. I made a small "strap" out of scrap steel about 1" wide by 2" long or so and drilled 2 holes in it. It bolts down with the pedal stop bolt in one hole and the other has the barrel of the switch. I think this is exactly what Mike did too. I don't have my notes readily available for the P/N but it was a brake switch for a mid '60s chevy car. The same number turns up for a '70s ford pickup too. You can browse the napa web site and enter likely vehicles and get a picture of the switch to see if its what you want. These switches are a couple inches long barrel design and threaded most of the lengh. They come with 2 nuts to adjust where the plunger is.

I used to have a micro-switch with a lever arm but those are not typically rated for the inrush current that the brake lights pull and it would stick on once in a while.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

blackhawk
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Thank you Mike and Jeff. I appreciate the assistance. I will look up the Napa pictures and see what they have.

Dale

Mike
02-06-2007, 04:24 AM
I posted pictures and a drawing of the bracket and switch at the Yahoo Avanti site: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/avanti/?yguid=213751814 . Then I found I couldn't transfer them directly to here...
Look there, under "Files". You do have to join the group.
As I said, I used the Borg Warner S237. I verify that the Standard Motor Products SLS66 looks the same. Others are supposed to be: General 31181, NIEH OR148, Wells DR496. It's a very common part. For grins, tell them it's for a '68 Rambler American, 4.8L V8, with manual trans, and no speed control.
Action is open with plunger depressed.
I replaced the pal nuts, for more thread area.
A 1/8" NPT plug fits the hole in the master cylinder.
Adjust the stop bolt so it protects the switch, but doesn't interfere with full pedal return plus venting clearance.

Mike

blackhawk
02-07-2007, 01:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mike

I posted pictures and a drawing of the bracket and switch at the Yahoo Avanti site: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/avanti/?yguid=213751814 . Then I found I couldn't transfer them directly to here...
Look there, under "Files". You do have to join the group.
As I said, I used the Borg Warner S237. I verify that the Standard Motor Products SLS66 looks the same. Others are supposed to be: General 31181, NIEH OR148, Wells DR496. It's a very common part. For grins, tell them it's for a '68 Rambler American, 4.8L V8, with manual trans, and no speed control.
Action is open with plunger depressed.
I replaced the pal nuts, for more thread area.
A 1/8" NPT plug fits the hole in the master cylinder.
Adjust the stop bolt so it protects the switch, but doesn't interfere with full pedal return plus venting clearance.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I am waiting for "membership approval" to look at the pictures and drawing that you posted. I found info for a '68 Rambler American on the web, probably the same info that you found. However, it said all those numbers you listed are for the automatic equipped Rambler. The manual trans model used MPESL169SB. So, I bought a NAPA ECHSL169 stoplight switch today. I won't know if it is the same one you used until I see your photos.

Dale

wagonairedriver
02-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I had to replace the M/C on my '63 wagonaire. I just asked for the M/c for a 1970 plymouth valiant. Just had to drill new mounting locations to mount the master cylinder. But there was no provision for a pressure switch, so I just also bought the switch for a 1970 plymouth valiant, and hose clamped a little L bracket to the steering column. Has been working like a charm for about 5 years. BTW, the master cylinder must have a bigger bore, because it was like adding power brakes!