clutch linkage hitting crossmember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch linkage hitting crossmember

Grateful for your help. 1957 Silver Hawk 289 3 spd man.3 on tree. Body off restoration project. New engine & trans mounts are installed. The clutch linkage is hitting the crossmember...looks like a 3/16" shim at trans mount would allow the linkage to travel in the "ramp" formed in the crossmember. Can not find any information in manual. The shaft (1546329) & levers are good (splines tight & no slipage), the sleeve has very slight play, and the bracket/ballstud assembly seems good. Does the trans mount need shims or am I just not seeing the actual problem?

Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

UPDATE. Last night I removed trans-mount nuts and jacked up the rear of the transmission. As soon as the mount studs cleared the crossmember the engine & transmission jumped back towards the rear of the car a little...the motor mounts & trans mount were in a bind. I have examined the transmission mount and the studs are offset to the mounting holes (not a lot)...there is a front and back to the transmission mount! I will try to re-install tonight and post results. Will also review the manual for details. Anyone else run into this? Trans mount #1547196. When I set the engine/trans on the frame I lowered the trans first, just started the nuts, lowered the engine and the motor mounts "rocked" right in without force...had no idea there was a bind.

Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

Comment

Ray, I'm glad you got it figured out. Jumping motors are nothing to mess with. It can cost a finger or two. I had one hang up on me and I didn't know it. I thought it was down until it jumped about 4". I had to go change my drawers after that happened.

Doug
      Venice, Florida
      1950 Champion
      9G F1

Comment

Working...
      X