putting a 350 in a 1961 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting a 350 in a 1961 hawk

The cost of the kit for a 289 is the cost of an engine for my 1961 hawk "IF" I were to put a 350 with a 400 turbo in my 1961 hawk I'm I looking at alot of modifications? The mounts the drive shaft ? has anyone here ever done this?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

quote:Originally posted by studelover

The cost of the kit for a 289 is the cost of an engine for my 1961 hawk "IF" I were to put a 350 with a 400 turbo in my 1961 hawk I'm I looking at alot of modifications? The mounts the drive shaft ? has anyone here ever done this?
    I think there are about 4,527 that have done this . It's a common swap. The chevy is much smaller and lighter than the Stude V8 and fits pretty good.

With that said, there are probably as many (or more) failed swaps as successful ones. None are easy. In addition to the mounts (no "bolt ins" are available...you'll have to modify or fabricate engine mounts and the trany mount), there's driveshaft, cooling, shift linkage, throttle linkage, exhaust, electrical, etc. Just when you think you've got the engine positioned correctly and every thing welded, you find the distributor hits the firewall or the header hits the steering box or the fan hits the radiator. They are more expensive than most budget for and can be extremely frustrating.

If you are going to do it and have never done a swap, find (or make) a buddy that has done several or get some pro help.

Why a TH400? They are a big trany, rob a lot of HP, and very few SBC's generate enough HP to need one. A TH700R4 or TH2004R or 4L60E is generally the trans of choice due to the overdrive. If you don't want the OD, a TH350 is more than adequate.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I think there are about 4,527 that have done this . It's a common swap. The chevy is much smaller and lighter than the Stude V8 and fits pretty good.

With that said, there are probably as many (or more) failed swaps as successful ones. None are easy. In addition to the mounts (no "bolt ins" are available...you'll have to modify or fabricate engine mounts and the trany mount), there's driveshaft, cooling, shift linkage, throttle linkage, exhaust, electrical, etc. Just when you think you've got the engine positioned correctly and every thing welded, you find the distributor hits the firewall or the header hits the steering box or the fan hits the radiator. They are more expensive than most budget for and can be extremely frustrating.

If you are going to do it and have never done a swap, find (or make) a buddy that has done several or get some pro help.

Why a TH400? They are a big trany, rob a lot of HP, and very few SBC's generate enough HP to need one. A TH700R4 or TH2004R or 4L60E is generally the trans of choice due to the overdrive. If you don't want the OD, a TH350 is more than adequate.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The easy way (HA) to do this swap is to keep the Borg Warner transmission and just change out the engine. If you use a bell housing from a 1965-66 Stude or Checker that mates the soft block engine to the Borg warner tranny, then get the Hurst adapter that mounts the front of the engine to the stock Stude front mounts, you are most of the way there. You still need to figure out the throttle linkage, gas line routing, and the radiator-fan and hosing, as well as the exhaust. Why do you want the TH400 anyway?

Comment

The easy way (HA) to do this swap is to keep the Borg Warner transmission and just change out the engine. If you use a bell housing from a 1965-66 Stude or Checker that mates the soft block engine to the Borg warner tranny, then get the Hurst adapter that mounts the front of the engine to the stock Stude front mounts, you are most of the way there. You still need to figure out the throttle linkage, gas line routing, and the radiator-fan and hosing, as well as the exhaust. Why do you want the TH400 anyway?

Comment

I have one rebuilt laying around here, I thought it would be easy I guess the stude motor stays

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

I have one rebuilt laying around here, I thought it would be easy I guess the stude motor stays

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

The easy way (HA) to do this swap is to keep the Borg Warner transmission and just change out the engine.
                Great idea! The FOM is quite strong and with a low gear start valve body is a nice trany. I doubt if the Hurst cradle will position the engine correctly, however, to be a direct bolt to the bell/trans. But it would be close with only minor mods needed probably. You could also side mount the engine with generic SBC mounts.

Would the trans/bellhousing crossmember need to be modified since a Hawk never used the chevybaker bellhousing?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

The easy way (HA) to do this swap is to keep the Borg Warner transmission and just change out the engine.
                  Great idea! The FOM is quite strong and with a low gear start valve body is a nice trany. I doubt if the Hurst cradle will position the engine correctly, however, to be a direct bolt to the bell/trans. But it would be close with only minor mods needed probably. You could also side mount the engine with generic SBC mounts.

Would the trans/bellhousing crossmember need to be modified since a Hawk never used the chevybaker bellhousing?

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X