Hard to recruit new members when

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to recruit new members when

you can't get past a perception based on a previous experience. Three different couples who have looked at my trucks. All owned at least one Stude Truck, one had 3.2. Were indifferent to my efforts to get them to join SDC.

Out of all the people i have tried to get to join (about a dozen)i was only successful with one. That took four tries and the help of a fellow Tucson SDCer who fortunately was at the same show.

Two used to be members and dropped out, one went to a show and was told he couldn't show his truck until he joined, but he could park his truck in the parking lot. All felt in one fashion or the other that they weren't welcome. The two that dropped out did it because they felt snubbed and unwelcome at their first meet and never went back.

So whats the solution? There has to be one to insure the SDCs future. Are we aging the events to match the leadership? Are we not reaching out to new members and making them feel comfortable and welcome at their first meet. Does the membership at large feel that they need to come to us and not us to them? Do we feel it will take care of it self and that the SDC will survive no matter what?

??????? your thoughts

I look at some of the posts made here by non members(as well as members for that matter) and some of the replies made are RUDE in my opinion,by members who must be of a HIGHER POWER ? ( they DO need to feel welcomed!)

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'm not sure of the formula, but I know our Karel Staple Chapter has nearly doubled in size to more than 100 members in the last 4-5 years. Things that I know are, we are very laid back, not much formality. We welcome folks on their own terms and levels of participation. Folks of all genres of Studebakerdom are welcomed equally and enthusiastically. By that I mean those that subscribe to restored orignal, survivors, modifieds, work in progress or simple appreciation of the marque. We do things together, from showing up to shows, opening up homes for potluck meetings, going to places like museums together and generally having fun. I'm not sure what sort of meet the prospective folks were turned away from, was it a Zone meet or International? That I can understand. Maybe we need to have a chance for them to display their cars on a one time basis without membership as long as they pay the entry, maybe they could pay an amount equal to half of membership for one time. I think the main thing is to make them feel welcome, and that they will perceive some benefit to belonging and that the club is not just wanting their money. In the end some folks are just not joiners and I am OK with that. I do have a problem with folks that want to have the benefits without joining. We need to sell it as a fun thing and not an obligation just because they have a Studebaker.

Pat

Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd

Out of all the people i have tried to get to join (about a dozen)i was only successful with one. That took four tries and the help of a fellow Tucson SDCer who fortunately was at the same show.

Two used to be members and dropped out, one went to a show and was told he couldn't show his truck until he joined, but he could park his truck in the parking lot. All felt in one fashion or the other that they weren't welcome. The two that dropped out did it because they felt snubbed and unwelcome at their first meet and never went back.
        I think you need to ask these individuals what it would take to get them to join. Only they know the exact reasons for not joining and only they know what it would take for them to join. I think everyone should be allowed to show their Studebaker at a Studebaker specific show for free but not be allowed to have their car judged and trophied unless they are registered for the event (which is how it was at the Cedar Rapids show last year).

1949 2R17
        R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd

Anybody who would tell somebody they can't show their truck, or car, because they arent a member, I think needs to take a pill and get a grip. As far as I'm concerned, just owning a Studebaker is somewhat an unoffical membership, sorta. And that other guy has to be pretty desperate to eliminate competition. It's just a car, dude, and running people out of the club/shows is NOT going to help the club. An example, sorta, is where I race the Lawn-Lark. In the early years of the association, ther were a few drivers who were making insults, causing fights in the pitts, making up rules at the spur of the moment so others couldnt race, etc. and as a result, people didnt show up, and we were loosing fans. So, the president of the club straightened them out and we are fineally starting to regain fans and drivers. So, people need to just be nice, and set a good example, and that's what can save a club, especially one this great full of good people.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

O.K., I don't want to make anyone mad, BUT, I will
            share my feelings on this. I have been a member for
            about 2 years. I have had Studebakers for fifty years.
            I have also been a member of various brand X car clubs.
            I have been to two meets, since I joined. The 2008
            Georgia state meet, and the 2009 meet in Townsend Tenn.
            I had been on the forum and talked to many, but only
            met Jerry Forrester. Long story there, but to make it
            very short, Jerry is a member, that is a very good
            example for new members to meet and talk to. Like I said,
            when I went to the Georgia, Jerry was the only member I
            had met before the meet. I guess I am probably a poor
            example of a member, but I think I am a lot like most new
            members. When I went, I was expecting to meet and be welcomed
            by some of the ones I had "met" on the forum. I even wore a t-shirt with "flashback" on it, and announced so before hand on the forum.
            There were several there, that I tried to strike up a conversation
            with and it seemed I was not part of the "IN" group. As I look
            back, I think maybe I was expecting to much, and I should have
            been more outgoing. However, I believe this is how new members feel.
            They expect the old group to welcome them. Jerry was the only person
            that made me feel welcome there. However, since that time, I feel
            very welcome just talking to members here. This "IS NOT" me whinnin.
            It's just how I think new members feel, and I consider myself to
            be a old member now.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Lead a horse to water and if he is not thirsty then he won't drink. Are your aquaintant non club people familiar with the forum. Best source of information on Studebaker service anybody can get for free. Maybe the club should pay them to join. The monthly magazine is worth more than the membership fee only. Everything else is a plus. I'm a member cause I think there is knowledge, friendship, tips on safety, and other benefits to be had within a conglomeration.I've met lots of fine folks from being a member. People have their reasons for never belonging, belonging at one time and non current. Whatever the reason for their status is, it's their choice. Did you ever hear of a lone wolf? One reason for not belonging which I have heard lately is a person not being happy with how the club is run. Boo f^$##$% hoo. Don't even complain about the forum cause you use it directly for financial gain. Makes me want to cry. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I joined because I like the cars,, and for the most part have been treated friendly enough by most. HOWEVER, there area few of you that seem to think that anyone new to studes is an idiot and have made no bones about telling me I'm an idiot. Nevermind the fact I have been a mechanic for nearly 30 years and have been a fabricator/buider for nearly 20 years.

Those folks are whats stopping you from being able to recruit. I for one dont try to get anyone to join, lead them in and let them decide. My fear is they will want to join and run into Mr/Mrs holier than thou Stude owner and run away crying.

Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but that the way I feel.

AND,,,,,,, If any of you that thought and or told me I'm an idiot are reading this,,, Have a nice Day.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you think the SDC group is bad go to an AOIA meeting or meet. I had been a member of the local Avanti club for 12 years and when I showed up at the Norton Simon meet with my 53K rather than my Avanti they told me to park that piece of $h*t out back. When Raymond Lowey was walking around looking at the cars he looked out back and said Kellog designed the Avanti I designed that car there. I don't know where the club meets now, they were to high and mighty for me and don't know what happened to it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Da Tinman

I joined because I like the cars,, and for the most part have been treated friendly enough by most. HOWEVER, there area few of you that seem to think that anyone new to studes is an idiot and have made no bones about telling me I'm an idiot. Nevermind the fact I have been a mechanic for nearly 30 years and have been a fabricator/buider for nearly 20 years.

Those folks are whats stopping you from being able to recruit. I for one dont try to get anyone to join, lead them in and let them decide. My fear is they will want to join and run into Mr/Mrs holier than thou Stude owner and run away crying.
                    Some people speak harshly and don't even realize that they sound that way (my dad is that way). Did someone actually call you an idiot or did it feel like they were implying such? There is no excuse for others to be name calling or people bashing but sometimes the words that people write can be taken differently than how they were meant to be taken. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think the majority of folks here are good people. With that said, I hope you continue to contribute to the forum Jay.

1949 2R17
                    R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Alan, The question was asked: Are we not reaching out and making
                      our members feel welcome at their first meet? I think the answer
                      is, NO, we are not. I agree with you on the way other clubs and
                      meets are bad also, but we are trying to better ourselves. I have
                      been treated badly by people from the National level, at a local
                      5-6-7 Chevy. meet that I organized, and they didn't even recognize
                      me. Again< I completely agree, we may not be as bad as some other
                      clubs, but we definitely have room for the "more friendy improvement"
                      don'tchathink?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I was an SDC member from 73-75 and just rejoined in 2008. Most people on this forum have gone out of their way to help me solve a plethora of problems with my cars. Some have even sold me critical parts. My guess why more people won't join SDC is because: (1) they don't care about TW, (2) the lousy economy has everyone scratching to save a buck, (3) some people probably still drive old Studes out of necessity rather than for love of the cars/trucks, and (4) some folks are just NOT joiners of any organizations.

edp/NC
                        '63 Avanti
                        '66 Commander
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

Every group or club I've belonged to has had members who were friendly and welcoming, and others who thought themselves omnipotent and in charge. Unfortunately, sometimes the latter types are the only ones who are willing to do the unrewarding job of running a chapter. That's just the way it is.

Without wishing to defend rude behavior to new posters, I know that some of us oldtimers get a little tired of answering the same questions over and over -- especially if the answer to the question is available right here on this website (with a little effort). I guess it's easier to ask than try to use the search function.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Oh I think the Pm saying "your an idiot and that car has at least 100,000 miles on it" pretty much told me how that person was thinkin, and for sure they knew they were being "harsh". There were several more like it, and some were even posted to my thread.

You are entitled to your opinions, either personal or car related, but how you portray those thoughts and ideas will directly affect how others percieve you, and unfortunatly the rest of us Stude owners too.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                            http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Alright if you Da Tinman, and not Da Steel man, then tin can
                              flex a little. I agree there are some harsh posts, and even
                              so some of them are joking, granted some are not. BUT, for
                              every one of the old harsh farts, there are at least twenty
                              super nice and helpful ones. So can ya bend a little? I don't
                              think you are an idiot, along with many many others here.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                              X