S/C engine selling in pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/C engine selling in pieces

Seller says: "I will be selling part by part the entire supercharged system plus the engine which has been broken down and boxed, as this week goes on."

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Poor engine...[V]

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Seller says: "I will be selling part by part the entire supercharged system plus the engine which has been broken down and boxed, as this week goes on."

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
      It's the best way, you'll get a bigger return because some bidders will go nuts over just one item they need.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

For sure JDP. Still, as an enthusiast, it's a shame. I'll be interested to see what his sale total comes to...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

For sure JDP. Still, as an enthusiast, it's a shame. I'll be interested to see what his sale total comes to...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
          What difference does it make ? One complete engine or parts to finish a few. The only really unique part of the supercharged engine is the block #. Why pay $2500 or more for all of it, if you are just missing the correct air cleaner for example. Even the water pump manifold he listed is stock on all V8's.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree with you John, it's just a little sad to me that a pretty special car is now gone, and now the engine's being scattered. Wonder how far down the engine is broken...?

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I agree with you John, it's just a little sad to me that a pretty special car is now gone, and now the engine's being scattered. Wonder how far down the engine is broken...?

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

OK, I get that, but if I grieved over ever special car that did not survive, I'd be a wreck. I've parted out some pretty special cars over the years. I have a supercharged Packard block and two parts of a half dozen long gone Avanti's. Chances are the GH was a too far gone rust bucket, or got a mouse motor.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Simma' down buddy! I'm not grieving, just not excited that it's gone. I've seen some much more significant cars lost, and have been the cause of some... like the 69 Super Bee I cut up to make a (poor) dirt street stock, for one; so I'd be hangin' from a rope if I greieved over all those sweet cars.

Happens to many; my Dad told me about the Model J Deusenberg he and my uncle DROVE to the city dump for no reason other than they didn't want it anymore

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The rub comes from the fact that most in this hobby are not in it for the money. All the talk of parting out cars to get more $$$$ is very disturbing to most to say the least. I for one can say it turns my stomach.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

The rub comes from the fact that most in this hobby are not in it for the money. All the talk of parting out cars to get more $$$$ is very disturbing to most to say the least. I for one can say it turns my stomach.
                    That is a good point. I guess that's part of what's eating me too- although on the other hand I do believe it's his right to do what he wants with his engine...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

It's a guys right to yank a perfectly good 289 form a Hawk and put a 350 in it also. You are correct Bob,,it is his property and the owner can do whatever lights 'em up. I can't lie though and tell you it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Every vendor in the hobby supports there business by making a buck, but it does not mean they are not important in the hobby. I wish their were buyers willing to buy all the project cars without a thought of the expense involved in saving them, but that is not the case. We just sold a project 56 for our cost, but I can't do that with every one. i.e. I tried with the project Avanti, but no one was willing to spend twice it's value in restoration costs to save it.
                        Maybe you think the guy with the Golden Hawk engine should take a hit in the wallet by selling it all together, but I thank him for the effort to market needed parts, even if sells them separately.

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

I don't know the circumstances of the Golden Hawk the engine came out of. If the Golden Hawk was a decent car that could have been restored and say it gets parted out because the guy can get more money for it parting it I can tell you this John, there is one less Golden Hawk that will ever be on the road and they don't make them anymore.

Comment

I don't know the circumstances of the Golden Hawk the engine came out of. If the Golden Hawk was a decent car that could have been restored and say it gets parted out because the guy can get more money for it parting it I can tell you this John, there is one less Golden Hawk that will ever be on the road and they don't make them anymore.
                            Basic rule of thumb, no one parts out a restorable Golden Hawk to make a profit. At best, you may get 3K in parts from a very rough car, and even a total dog will bring more than that as a project. Other than the drive line, the only real value is in the sheet metal, and if that's good, no one would part it out.
                            I'd bet the ebay engine was removed for a engine swap, or all that was saved from a example that was scrapped, maybe years ago.
                            If you want a sad story, you should look at the 57 Silver Hawk parts car I just bought. It was a nice 7-8K driver until the a body shop sectioned the body last year to save a badly damaged show Hawk.
                            It still runs and drives, but most of one side and the entire body behind the roof was cut off. The insurance company paid the 25K to fix the show car, so the body shop just bought this nice car to make one out of two.
                            I also bought the drive line from a low mileage R2 Avanti a few years back from a guy that wanted a hi dollar mouse motor powered rod. We all lose a few, but save as much as we can.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

While it is sad to see a car go to its demise, It might mean several will avoid transplant surgery since the parts are available to fix them correctly.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X