Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grille paint treatments on '54-56 trucks ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grille paint treatments on '54-56 trucks ??

Greetings, SDCrs,

I bought my '55 E12 at the Seattle International Meet in the early '80s, restored it as original and drove it hard 'til last fall.

It's in pieces, body-off-frame and ready for paint. It isn't going to be a pure restoration this time. Been there, done that, no fun to drive on the highway. With a few modifications for speed, power and NVH reduction, it'll be ready for another fifty years of service.

Since it isn't going back OEM, I'm open to possibilities for the grille other than plain white. IIRC, some of you have done some creative two-tone treatments, so I'd appreciate seeing as many as can be shared here.

Also, after twenty-five years of looking at it, I'm going to delete that huge chrome hood ornament, fender-mount turn signals and badges. (yes, I'll save them for the next owner, but I've just decided I'll like the truck better without them for this iteration.) So show us any trucks with a clean front end also, please.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Put the 56-58 c-k parking lights on the fenders. Wire them for turn signals. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but, no, thanks.

Still looking for paint info. One '54 truck owner sent nice photos. I definitely like the smaller '54 Studebaker nameplate over the huge '55 nameplate. darn Buick and GM for loading on the chrome and darn Studebaker for following the leader on the '55 models. The '55 truck/C/K and sedans front end treatment was not an improvement, to put it mildly.

jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

How 'bout making the grille not exactly white, but yellowish white, or ivory color. Stock, but not.[?][]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Greetings, SDCrs,

I bought my '55 E12 at the Seattle International Meet in the early '80s, restored it as original and drove it hard 'til last fall.

It's in pieces, body-off-frame and ready for paint. It isn't going to be a pure restoration this time. Been there, done that, no fun to drive on the highway. With a few modifications for speed, power and NVH reduction, it'll be ready for another fifty years of service.

Since it isn't going back OEM, I'm open to possibilities for the grille other than plain white. IIRC, some of you have done some creative two-tone treatments, so I'd appreciate seeing as many as can be shared here.

Also, after twenty-five years of looking at it, I'm going to delete that huge chrome hood ornament, fender-mount turn signals and badges. (yes, I'll save them for the next owner, but I've just decided I'll like the truck better without them for this iteration.) So show us any trucks with a clean front end also, please.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          Here's a few I had on my work computer. I know I have more at home but can't access right now. The blue truck shows what I plan on doing to my '55 E7 - a '56 grille with the '56 turn signals. Agree with you about the huge 'Studebaker' plate on the hood. I think the last two are factory pics.

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Hi, Paul,

Thanks for the photos. Pretty much what I was looking for.

The decision now is whether to paint the lower grille bar white, as per the factory '54 photo or body color as per the '56 photo.

I've about decided my ideal Stude truck would be the '54 body, '55 window shades, '56 grille and early Dana 44 axle and '64 289" and 3-speed overdrive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

Greetings, SDCrs,

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              Here's a few I had on my work computer. I know I have more at home but can't access right now. The blue truck shows what I plan on doing to my '55 E7 - a '56 grille with the '56 turn signals. Agree with you about the huge 'Studebaker' plate on the hood. I think the last two are factory pics.

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Where were these photos taken at? I think I see a "S" on one of the buildings and it got my curiosity.[?]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Looks like the Proving Ground.

Matthew Burnette
                Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

Faulty memory bank here, but I believe I have seen this blue/white truck at several meets here in Virginia, I think at the Spring meets at Yorktown in the mid-80s and 90s.

The other two photos are factory publicity photos for press kits or dealer kits. As Matthew has observed, the location appears to be at the test grounds. Notice the 3R38-71 stake truck in the background of the first photo-that is a scarce one, even when new.[8D][]

Frank Drumheller
                  Louisa, VA
                  60S-W6
                  1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

'Course you could always go with CHROME!

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island Chapter
                    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Hi, Mark,

That's one way to go, chrome everything, grille, bumper, turn signals, side mirrors, window visors and who knows what else. Do you have any side or rear photos of that truck?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, Here are 2 more of the same truck... Pics came from a book entitled "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Pickups" by Peter Henshaw, 2007.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Nice truck, but that grill don't do it for me, sorry. Makes it look like a front heavy caddilac,LOL!

Dylan Wills
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Can't remember seeing many single-color Transtars with the chrome check-mark side trim. Like most of the chrome, the side trim wouldnn't have have been original to a '55, would it? It just needs a couple of the chrome accessory spotlights to finish it off.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

Can't remember seeing many single-color Transtars with the chrome check-mark side trim. Like most of the chrome, the side trim wouldnn't have have been original to a '55, would it?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                              You are correct Jack - That "check mark" chrome trim on the doors first was used on '57 (3E series) trucks. It was standard with a two tone paint job, but could be ordered on a single tone. I think in '59, all Deluxe models (non-Scotsman) had the trim no matter what paint they came with.

Personally, I agree with Dylan - it's a bit too much chrome for me.

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X