Avanti Transmission FS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Transmission FS

There is an Avanti automatic transmission for sale on Rodchester NY Craigslist for $50.
    Allen

Is this a Poweshift? If so I'll go get it this week.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Is this a Poweshift? If so I'll go get it this week.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bams, that's all the Avanti had, but you'll need the shifter and torque converter.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

The ad says it has a torque converter, but that it does not shift. The "no shifting" could have been caused by any number of things. For $50 you can not lose. Bams, go for it.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

The ad says it has a torque converter, but that it does not shift. The "no shifting" could have been caused by any number of things.
          You made me look again. It says "It is a automatic that does shift".

I know that's all Avantis had, and the seller says it's from an Avanti, but how do I know it is, and not a FOM? I was hoping somebody could tell from the picture and tag... I'm not too interested in making that trip in winter weather for a FOM.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

No time to check tag this morning, but, the bell housing, dipstick tube, and kick down cable say 65-66 Stude., NOT AVANTI! JS
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

My Avanti is undergoing a transformation from Automatic to 5 speed so if there is anyone out there looking for a PowerShift complete with Torque converter, etc. contact me. The transmission was working correctly when last driven prior to starting my frame off restoration, but it does have approx. 135,000 miles on it.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Bams, Sorry about that. Go get it fer sher now, eh?

sals54
                sals54

Comment

I bought an Avanti once that had a Ford trans installed. I still have it and could sell it as a trans from an Avanti but I wouldn't. The Avanti powershifts are AS2-10 and AS4-10 models noted on the ID tag. The 1st tag is green & the second red. However, these notations are painted on the tag and often lost if the trans case was hot tanked during a rebuild and/or painted. The best way to confirm that it is a powershift is to remove the pan and check the casting numbers on the valve body.

Comment

Thanks for the input, but still wondering if anyone can identify this trans as a PS or FOM by the pictures:

The tag looks like AS12-5P. Is that enough to identify it?

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Doesn't the power shift have liquid cooler lines and the FOM air cooled?

Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC
                      Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                      1958 Commander "Christine"
                      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                      1955 Commander Sedan
                      1964 Champ
                      1960 Lark

Comment

Yes, on the opposite side of the Powershift case, there should be a pair of brass fittings, most likely covered in grease, that are for the cooling lines that run to the front of the car. I always forget, but the tag should have a Borg Warner tag, of course, with an AS 12 or AS 16 designation to it.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

The tag looks like AS12-5P.
                          Listed in the 1965 parts book (1563836) as a regular FOM for a V-8.

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by WCP

I bought an Avanti once that had a Ford trans installed. I still have it and could sell it as a trans from an Avanti but I wouldn't. The Avanti powershifts are AS2-10 and AS4-10 models noted on the ID tag. The 1st tag is green & the second red. However, these notations are painted on the tag and often lost if the trans case was hot tanked during a rebuild and/or painted. The best way to confirm that it is a powershift is to remove the pan and check the casting numbers on the valve body.
                            Why the different tranny?
                            Mine has a red tag ,according to the manual, because of the rear end ratio but what would be the difference in the gearboxes?
                            pb

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer

Listed in the 1965 parts book (1563836) as a regular FOM for a V-8.

THANKS, Bob! That's why I asked. I'd drive 1 1/4 hours each way in upstate NY winter weather for a PS but not a FOM; I've got several of those. You saved me from going on a fool's errand. Much appreciated!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X