Long Term Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Storage

I was wondering what precautions I might take when starting a Studebaker that had been in storage for a very long time. Anything special? Or treat it as any other type? Any help to prevent making things worse would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Cale, If you use the search function, you will find lots of threads about bringing old engines back to life.

My experience is all you need is spark and fuel. As long as the old fluids are in there, radiator full/engine oil in safe range, I don't worry about changing them before a start up.

Pull the plugs, Pull the valve cover, hook up a battery, crank the engine a little to get oil pressure. Maybe even spray a little WD40 in the cylinders. Check to see if valves are opening/closing.

After all those things check out, work on getting a fuel source and spark. Ground a plug and crank. Got spark? Good. No spark? Usually if you file the points and reset them you will get spark. Or check to see if you have power to the + side of the coil. If not, come back here and ask more questions.

As for fuel, I rig up an old lawnmower gas tank directly to the fuel line. Dump a little gas down the carb to get it primed. I always put the air cleaner back on, cause I have had engines that have been dormant a long time "spit back" and start a fire. Most people don't, just one of my things. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

If you get stumped just come back and ask more questions.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
    X