No announcement yet.

This could be a nice "Beater" Avanti...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be a nice "Beater" Avanti...

Black on black...5 speed...$3,000 starting price with no reserve [8D]

This is the last year for Avanti on the Studebaker frame.
    There were less than 100 Avantis built for the 1985 model year.
    I will probably be interested, but I do not have time to wait for the pictures to download now.
    Does anyone here know the car?
    Is there anyone on the Forum close enough to look at the car, especially the bottom?

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I think this car was on Craiglsist for $6500. I just did a search and it's not there now that I can see, though.

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Someone wasn't very careful with their "baby" for it to be hit in the side hard enough to cause a break like that. Lots of pics showing what an 85 Avanti looks like..It's sure starting out low enough no matter what the condition of the frame is. A 3K minimum with no reserve. I'd sure want to get my eyeballs underneath of it. If he's a real Avanti guy then he knows about the frame and ht's, and their importance; but no pics. So, if they are all good, he's missing a bet by not showing them. It's a rust belt car. He can have the benefit of the doubt at 3K, but once it starts to climb, frame and ht pics are in order. I'll ask him to post some.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Someone wasn't very careful with their "baby" for it to be hit in the side hard enough to cause a break like that. Lots of pics showing what an 85 Avanti looks like..It's sure starting out low enough no matter what the condition of the frame is. A 3K minimum with no reserve. I'd sure want to get my eyeballs underneath of it. If he's a real Avanti guy then he knows about the frame and ht's, and their importance; but no pics. So, if they are all good, he's missing a bet by not showing them. It's a rust belt car. He can have the benefit of the doubt at 3K, but once it starts to climb, frame and ht pics are in order. I'll ask him to post some.
          OK, you lost me again, what break are you speaking of ? I see the typical crack on the fender lip from catching the tire, but that's it. Even if it has hog trough issues, it should go well over 5K. At 3K, I'd drop the hammer in a instant.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I looked at the car three or four months ago. It came out of Florida and the sun has cooked the interior. It doesn't show in the pictures but it really needs new leather. The instruments are wrong as he said. If you want a project it is pretty solid underneath but it is a very, very deglected car needing lots of screwing with. I think the sun roof also leaks and I believe it was seperated from the roof skin. Part of the roof skin was done in black spray primer if I remember right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nels

I looked at the car three or four months ago. It came out of Florida and the sun has cooked the interior. It doesn't show in the pictures but it really needs new leather. The instruments are wrong as he said. If you want a project it is pretty solid underneath but it is a very, very deglected car needing lots of screwing with. I think the sun roof also leaks and I believe it was seperated from the roof skin. Part of the roof skin was done in black spray primer if I remember right.
              About what I expected, but if stays cheap, I'd love a black 5 speed for cheap money.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Thank you, Nels! This is the type of thing that makes SDC and this Forum great. This will have a major bearing on my bid.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've never been all that hot to own an Avanti, but really like this one being a black 5-speed. Good luck, Gary- if Icould I'd definitely be competing with you on it[][:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Thank you, Nels! This is the type of thing that makes SDC and this Forum great. This will have a major bearing on my bid.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary, if you are bidding, I'll drop out since I don't think I'll win anyway.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

JDP/Maryland
                      Thanks for the offer, John, but there are no friends in auctions
                      <G>.

There have been a lot of bids, but only four different bidders.

It is already past my limit for this car (with shipping), so go ahead and bid John.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

JDP/Maryland
                        Thanks for the offer, John, but there are no friends in auctions
                        <G>.

There have been a lot of bids, but only four different bidders.

It is already past my limit for this car (with shipping), so go ahead and bid John.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Looks like neither of will steal it, I might bid late if it does not move higher. (unlikely)

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

2 Days & 20 Hours to go and now at $5,600 I was thinking about a roadtrip to check it out 4 hour drive. What do you guys think, or would I be wasting my time. nels said he looked at it has anyone else had a chance to check it out. A 5 spd would be fun.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avanti76

2 Days & 20 Hours to go and now at $5,600 I was thinking about a roadtrip to check it out 4 hour drive. What do you guys think, or would I be wasting my time. nels said he looked at it has anyone else had a chance to check it out. A 5 spd would be fun.
                            If you like the car, it's worth the trip, especially since he had it advertised at $6500.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, the "beater" is up over 6K, made reserve and a day to go.

JDP/Maryland
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X