PDA

View Full Version : Engine rear main seal

Mr Mike
02-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi All,
I'm a newbie here and I don't have any experience working on Studebaker engines. I recently purchased a '60 Hawk and the rear main seal is leaking quite badly. My question is: Can the rear main seal be replaced without removing the engine?
Thanks,
Mike

kmul221
02-03-2007, 12:01 PM
First get a shop manual & follow instruction's The seal can be done easily with the engine in the car,you will also need a new oil pan gasket as it has to be removed to do the rear-main.Some others will jump in here with more details I'm sure.Welcome to Studabakerdum.

whacker
02-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, the rear main can be replaced while in the car, however, be sure that is what you need to do before you do it! Almost any oil leak near the back of the engine will masquarade as a rear main seal, as that is where the oil will drip from. Look closely at the distributor seal and the oil pan, as well as both of the heads toward the rear corners. I recommend that you degrease and clean the entire engine and run it a little before you tear into the rear seal. Rear seals do leak. So do a lot of other places.

GTtim
02-03-2007, 01:25 PM
If you are new to Studebakers check the flexible line that goes to the oil pressure gage. If you have any reason to suspect that it isn't new, replace it. It's a $12 part that will ruin a good engine in 30 seconds if it lets go while the engine is running. Any leaks from the valley cover or rocker covers will run to the back of the engine and look like a rear main seal leak. Take the cover off the bellhousing and look to see if there is oil on the flywheel, that would be an indicator of the main seal leaking.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

Mr Mike
02-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It is most helpful.
Mike