57 Commander Brakes Please HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Commander Brakes Please HELP!

Hi. I am new to Studebakers and was driving my Commander when I realized the brakes were awful. I chcked to see where I would add some more brake fluid and see where the leak was, but I couldn't find it anywhere. My qestion is, does my car have hydraulic brakes, and if so, where would I find the place to put my brake fluid?

Thanks for any help!

You probably should get the shop manual for the car. They are reasonable and available from most Studebaker parts vendors in hard copy or CD.

Your master cylinder is under the floor on the driver's side. It is accessible to fill by removing the plug in the floor over it. You may have to pull up the carpet or mat on the driver's side to see the plug.

Generally, just adding fluid is not going to make "awful" brakes better. The brakes are relatively simple and it is inexpensive and a good idea to go through them entirely...shoes, wheel and master cylinders, flex lines, and drums (if needed), if you don't know the history of when this was last done.

It's inconvenient if the car doesn't go....it's deadly if it doesn't stop.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Cissell. You'll find many here ready and willing to help you keep your stude on the road and operating efficiently.

Comment

As a Mom we have a rule if it doesn't Stop that is doesn't GO. Keeps us alive and everybody else too.

Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'll see about the manuel. Me and my dad were going to redo the brakes; pads, etc. when it gets warmer.

57' Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Cissell

Thanks for the help! I'll see about the manuel. Me and my dad were going to redo the brakes; pads, etc. when it gets warmer.

No pads...shoes.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Check out this link to find a vendor who sells manuals for your car and the necessary parts as well.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter
              http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

John

Comment

if last service is unknown you might as well plan on at least new cylinders and hoses as well. they're not expensive nor hard to replace. A pressure bleeder is helpful if you have access to one, but not 100% necessary. Don't forget new wheel bearing seals and some grease to repack the wheel bearings.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Does my car have a hydraulic clutch?

57' Commander

Comment

I was looking at the manuels and I found one called 1957 Studebaker Car Shop Manual Original Supplement. What does the supplement part mean. On the book it says 1956 passenger car shop manuel and then to the side, it says covering 1957 passenger cars. Will this book tell me how to service my car, or just refer me to the actual manuel. The html is http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/p...84%26yr%3D1957

57' Commander

Comment

I think I found a great manuel. Can you please tell me if this looks good? It is a reproduction.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-...sQ5fLiterature

57' Commander

Comment

no Studebaker cars have hydraulic clutches.

What year is your car? The shop manual was printed in '56, then supplements were released in '57 and '58 including only the information specific to those model years. The reprints are available from most Studebaker vendors, but they only come with the 56 and 57 info. If you have a '58 you will need to get that supplement seperately.

If you have a later car, there is a later manual that covers 59-64 inclusive. If you plan on doing a lot of work on your car yourself, plan on getting not only the shop manual but also the body parts book and chassis parts book as well, that will make ordering from vendors much easier. SI sells them on CD-ROM but some people prefer good old fashioned paper just for ease of use.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My car is a 57. This Ebay one is a reprint of the original 56 manuel and the 57 supplement combined into one book.

57' Commander

Comment

I just filled up the bake fluid and my brakes are working fine now. I am still going to redo the system, but this is step toward success. Thanks for the help! Also, any feedback on the manuel would be nice, to. Thanks!

57' Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X