Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

early pertronic - senses distributor points cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early pertronic - senses distributor points cam?

I have an FILKO electronic ignition system from the 1970s. There is a sensor to replace the points, but no wheel or ring to replace or slip over the points cam. It senses the lobes of the stock points cam. It must be set with a 0.005-0.010 inch gap, which make me suspect the timing may vary and be unstable even with a distributor with tight bushings.

I heard that some pertroniix ignitions do the same thing, that is, sense the points cam lobes. Bit the pertopnics catalog seems to mostly do that for some 4 cylinder kits.

Has anyone used a Pertonix that uses a "lobe sensing" module, and how well did it work?

thakns

Dan T

As I recall...you are correct.
    The first Pertronix unit I saw was back in the late 70's.
    A friend bought one for his wifes car. I installed it with the distibuter out of the engine.

I do remember...they had no trouble with that setup for the next 4+ years they owned the car.

As you say...as long as the bushings are in good shape, (espicially the upper bushing) and the point plate is solid, you should be fine.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan Timberlake

Has anyone used a Pertonix that uses a "lobe sensing" module, and how well did it work?

I have...in the 327 Chevy in my '54 Starliner. Trouble free for the 10 years and 35,000 miles I had the car. The only downside is that you have to leave the key in the "on" position for about 5 seconds before hitting the starter.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dan, it depends which Distributor you order it for. The Early Delco '51-'59 Lark and '60 Hawk uses the lobe sensor.

I do not believe that the Prestolite and Delco Window ('60-'61 Lark) do.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I have a lobe sensing pertronix in my 58 Trasnstar with the early Delco dist. Only have about 20,000 on the unit, but the truck sits long periods, and always fires right up. I do have to pause the key in the on position for about 5 seconds, which is not a big deal.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
          Ross.
          Riverside, Ca.
          1957 Provincial X2
          1958 Transtar
          sigpic
          Ross.
          Riverside, Ca.
          1957 Provincial X2
          1958 Transtar

Comment

Working...
          X