No announcement yet.

Attention B Shaw, suggestion for forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention B Shaw, suggestion for forum.

I think it would be a good idea to add a section in addition to the general Studebaker talk and Technical talk section, that is for off topic posts. It is pretty obvious that there is a demand for such a section by the large amount of responses ,in a short time, to the RIP GM thread . I am a member of other car sites where they have such a feature available, and in many cases it is the most popular section. I know it is not easy to just add a new section , but I think it would be a good idea to think it over.

While I thank you for your suggestion, this is a forum with a specific focus: Studebakers. It is funded and managed by the Studebaker Drivers Club, inc. and, like its club magazine, shall remain focused on Studebakers.

The off-topic thread to which you refer did not generate "a lot of discussion in a short period of time" as you might think. It was an 8-month old thread that was resurrected a couple of days ago. As you may have noticed, that thread did have a few posts comparing the current auto maker situation with what Studebaker went through. So I let it continue. As stated in my final post on that thread, it was played out and there was no need to bring it back to life. As my plea to move on was ignored by another poster, I then locked the thread.

The off-topic doorway opens to a wide expanse of subjects where it would would be impossible to draw a line. Subjects that are far more devisive and explosive than our own "original vs. modified" debate (for example).

Yes, there are off-topic subjects and issues that need to be discussed and debated in this world and time we live in.

This is not, however, that place.

This is the place where people with a common denominator, Studebakers, can come for a few moments each day and talk about the marque that binds them, not that which divides them. I firmly believe that this represents the spirit of the SDC.

Those who wish to engage in discussions beyond Studebaker can easily agree to meet in another (non SDC) forum for that purpose. In fact, if someone has a forum in mind, I would be pleased to add it to the "Other forums" list on the web site.

It's bitter cold here in Minnesota for the next few days. I'm going to be thinking "Studebakers" to stay warm. Please join me.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

While I thank you for your suggestion, this is a forum with a specific focus: Studebakers. It is funded and managed by the Studebaker Drivers Club, inc. and, like its club magazine, shall remain focused on Studebakers.

The off-topic thread to which you refer did not generate "a lot of discussion in a short period of time" as you might think. It was an 8-month old thread that was resurrected a couple of days ago. As you may have noticed, that thread did have a few posts comparing the current auto maker situation with what Studebaker went through. So I let it continue. As stated in my final post on that thread, it was played out and there was no need to bring it back to life. As my plea to move on was ignored by another poster, I then locked the thread.

The off-topic doorway opens to a wide expanse of subjects where it would would be impossible to draw a line. Subjects that are far more devisive and explosive than our own "original vs. modified" debate (for example).

Yes, there are off-topic subjects and issues that need to be discussed and debated in this world and time we live in.

This is not, however, that place.

This is the place where people with a common denominator, Studebakers, can come for a few moments each day and talk about the marque that binds them, not that which divides them. I firmly believe that this represents the spirit of the SDC.

Those who wish to engage in discussions beyond Studebaker can easily agree to meet in another (non SDC) forum for that purpose. In fact, if someone has a forum in mind, I would be pleased to add it to the "Other forums" list on the web site.

It's bitter cold here in Minnesota for the next few days. I'm going to be thinking "Studebakers" to stay warm. Please join me.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Hey, 5859

I, for one, am not in favor of adding a general chat to the SDC site. There are plenty of sites like http://www.oldhippie.com/forums/ that mix political and other topics that you can visit to blow off steam.

BTW, that's where StudebakerStyle.com ended up.

Bob Feaganes

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
        53 Starliner Hardtop
        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Hey, 5859

I, for one, am not in favor of adding a general chat to the SDC site. There are plenty of sites like http://www.oldhippie.com/forums/ that mix political and other topics that you can visit to blow off steam.

BTW, that's where StudebakerStyle.com ended up.

Bob Feaganes

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
          53 Starliner Hardtop
          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

It should also be noted that the GM thread was started almost a year ago. I think what the GM and Ford threads were trying to show was the simularity of their situations compared to Studebaker. That was reasonably OT (on topic )

I'd rather leave this site all Studebaker. The newsgroups handle the 'other topic' stuff just fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It should also be noted that the GM thread was started almost a year ago. I think what the GM and Ford threads were trying to show was the simularity of their situations compared to Studebaker. That was reasonably OT (on topic )

I'd rather leave this site all Studebaker. The newsgroups handle the 'other topic' stuff just fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom, thanks for mentioning "newsgroup". The "alt.autos.studebaker" group is very active and affords an opportunity for broader discussions. Many of our forum members regularly participate there.

Here's the link from the SDC web site showing several ways to access that newsgroup:

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Tom, thanks for mentioning "newsgroup". The "alt.autos.studebaker" group is very active and affords an opportunity for broader discussions. Many of our forum members regularly participate there.

Here's the link from the SDC web site showing several ways to access that newsgroup:

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Thank you for keeping the OT discussion off of this forum. There is certainly enough of this on the newsgroup side. It seems to attract "trolls" with threads developing into displays of anger, hatred, and bigotry. While I enjoy visiting the newsgroup for its Studebaker content, the OT threads lately seem to outnumber Studebaker discussion. There are plenty of other places to take these topics.

Let's discuss our Studebakers.

Jim Bradley
                    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                    Jim Bradley
                    Lake Monticello, VA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    sigpic

Comment

Thank you for keeping the OT discussion off of this forum. There is certainly enough of this on the newsgroup side. It seems to attract "trolls" with threads developing into displays of anger, hatred, and bigotry. While I enjoy visiting the newsgroup for its Studebaker content, the OT threads lately seem to outnumber Studebaker discussion. There are plenty of other places to take these topics.

Let's discuss our Studebakers.

Jim Bradley
                      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                      Jim Bradley
                      Lake Monticello, VA
                      '78 Avanti II
                      sigpic

Comment

Mr. Shaw, that is an excellent answer to the question. Your reasoned and sensible response makes you the ideal moderator. My two cents would have been far less elegant.
                        We certainly do NOT need more off-topic forums. When I want to listen to Beethoven, I don't tune in to the local country station.

Comment

Mr. Shaw, that is an excellent answer to the question. Your reasoned and sensible response makes you the ideal moderator. My two cents would have been far less elegant.
                          We certainly do NOT need more off-topic forums. When I want to listen to Beethoven, I don't tune in to the local country station.

Comment

Vote NO on off-topic forums here. As has been said - besides the freewheeling newsgroup - there's ALL manner of forums, blogs, newsgroups, chat rooms, etc., etc., etc., where one can cover subjects as diverse as spans the the sane and insane minds.
                            HERE - it's Studes and Studethusiasim thank you.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Vote NO on off-topic forums here. As has been said - besides the freewheeling newsgroup - there's ALL manner of forums, blogs, newsgroups, chat rooms, etc., etc., etc., where one can cover subjects as diverse as spans the the sane and insane minds.
                              HERE - it's Studes and Studethusiasim thank you.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X