How long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long?

Let's get an idea of t he length of time Avanti owners have owned their rides.........I'll start.........my Avanti was purchased in December 1966.......still under my lock-n-key:-)

June 2009.......still under my lock-n-key:-)

Comment

approx January 2001 ... purchased it from JP prior to him listing it on E-bay

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
        Embarrassing, I forgot owning your Avanti. Back to the thread, I've owned maybe 35 over the years, for a week to maybe 10 years. BTW, is your car on my "lot" ?

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:
          Embarrassing, I forgot owning your Avanti. Back to the thread, I've owned maybe 35 over the years, for a week to maybe 10 years. BTW, is your car on my "lot" ?

JDP/Maryland
          It's OK JP, I forget quite a lot these days... here's some pictures you took before I bought it ... and a link to its current status.

Current status ...

sigpic
          John
          63R-2386

Comment

I remember seeing your red '64 R-1 at the zone meet in Bristol Conn...I beieve t he car was from Baltimore with very low mileage?

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

I remember seeing your red '64 R-1 at the zone meet in Bristol Conn...I beieve t he car was from Baltimore with very low mileage?

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Originally posted by okc63avanti

JDP/Maryland
              Yep, won best of show Avanti with a mostly just detailed original car there, one I regret selling.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

I think a widow owned it.........was parked in a garage..sold by the son of the woman? The car was written up in a newspaper column

Comment

I'm not sure how the car got to JP but the time between the original owner selling it and JP acquiring it was only a year give or take. I can't remember the original owners name right now but found some paperwork in glove box with his name. I found him in an internet phone book directory and gave him a call. He was a retired lawyer who lived in Fort Lauderdale or Fort Myers, Florida. His wife bought this car for him in Feb. 1963 as a Valentines day gift. He later bought a 64 Avanti the next year. He had car undercoated originally and kept it in garage at home or at work so it never sat out in the weather. It was a daily driver until he parted with. He tried to sale both cars the 63 and 64 but when he couldn't get what he wanted for them he donated them to a local charity. The car(s) was auctioned off by charity and who ever purchased did some damage to the front end. Either the damage was repaired by him prior to JP acquiring it or JP repaired the damage. Mike Myers discovered the damage when prepping the body for new paint and spent some time redoing the old repair a bit. We also did find some bad rust damage in metal front windshield roof pillars probably due to moisture getting under the stainless trim.

sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386

Comment

Bought mine from Jack Wright 1963 R1 Spring of 2005 in New Albany,Indiana. It has had one repaint (Red). It came home to Florida where it resides with a 1949champion 4Dr,a 1949 one and half ton Carhauler,1952 Starliner,1963 Hawk,1963 Daytona two door Ht.1964 Cruiser4Dr. And Quite a number of Brand Xsss. J C Taylor loves me once a year. Ed fisher

Ed
                    Ed

Comment

I'm not sure how the car got to JP but the time between the original owner selling it and JP acquiring it was only a year give or take. I can't remember the original owners name right now but found some paperwork in glove box with his name. I found him in an internet phone book directory and gave him a call. He was a retired lawyer who lived in Fort Lauderdale or Fort Myers, Florida. His wife bought this car for him in Feb. 1963 as a Valentines day gift. He later bought a 64 Avanti the next year. He had car undercoated originally and kept it in garage at home or at work so it never sat out in the weather. It was a daily driver until he parted with. He tried to sale both cars the 63 and 64 but when he couldn't get what he wanted for them he donated them to a local charity. The car(s) was auctioned off by charity and who ever purchased did some damage to the front end. Either the damage was repaired by him prior to JP acquiring it or JP repaired the damage. Mike Myers discovered the damage when prepping the body for new paint and spent some time redoing the old repair a bit. We also did find some bad rust damage in metal front windshield roof pillars probably due to moisture getting under the stainless trim.

I ended buying both Avanti's, from the same guy maybe 2 weeks apart, and I'm sure they both looked fine when I got them. I recall because when I was offered the second one, I was broke and he shipped me the car and said he'd send the title when it was paid for. I seem to recall a three car deal in the end.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Funny story about the Baltimore Survivor Avanti we discussed earlier. I decided to drive a my best, nice Avanti up to the owner house expecting it to show him what a "nice condition" Avanti looked like. When I saw his in the garage, I realized he had called that bluff.
                        It was just barely raining that day, and he would not pull the Survivor out in the rain, explaining it had not seen rain in 15 years.
                        At that point, all I could do was reach for my checkbook. I only decided to sell it few years later out of fear that I'd break something.

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

I think a widow owned it.........was parked in a garage..sold by the son of the woman? The car was written up in a newspaper column
                          That was the car. Sadly, the son of the woman died a year or two back, and his kid called wanting to buy the car back from me. I put him in touch with the guy I sold it to, but he would not let it go. I bought ie for 12K, sold it after show detailing for 20K, the new owner passed on a 30K offer. Not a bad 10 year appreciation.

JDP/Maryland
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

In very early 2006 I had seen a Pro Street Avanti and decided I really liked the body shape - so the search was on! On April 15th 2006 I bought an Avanti Red '63 R2 4 speed. On pure faith I drove it on a 300 mile round trip from my home to the AOAI Palm Springs meet for a one day immersion in all things Avanti. I also brought it to the La Palma show as a "display only" car that year.

Thomas

Comment

I bought my 63 in May 1979 on the way to the LaPalma show. Still own it, when I bought it, she was white, but originally was Black. I am in the process of going back Black

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X