Sharp Lark P/U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp Lark P/U

Saw this one in the link from paintim (thanks Tim!), looks to be from Australia. LOVE it. Anyone know this car/truck/ute?

There's a few more pictures of it on that site...

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Yeah that is sharp, much better than most we've seen here.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Lark El Mino[?][]

Chris Dresbach
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

This Lark P/U is in New Zealand and is owned by Owen Offen who is also the owner of Bakers Garage in St Andrews which is just south of Timaru in the South Island. Originally a car, it was turned into a ute fairly early in its life by the original owner and Owen bought the ute to use as a shop vehicle. However after he restored it it came out a little too good to use as a 'shop hack'. It runs a 259 with 3 spd and overdrive. Gets a lot of comments whever it is displayed.

Comment

Thanks George! Any chance you might have anymore pictures of it? I'd love to see what the bed area looks like, appears to be super-quality work. I saw this one at CeRap, and LOVED the concept:

Looks like the same concept, just not finished like the subject car.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Methinks a mid-nineties S10 visor would look more apropos.[?]
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Methinks NO Visor would look WAY better! [xx(]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Bob, I do not have any pictures of the bed area but will take some for you next time I am at Owens - probably in about 3 weeks time.

Comment

That would be great George!

I'd think the hardest part of building one would be how to finish the inside of the bed. I thought maybe one could cut the bed floor out of an El Camino and section it to fit (if it would fit at all). In any case, that to me is the toughest part, so it'd be interesting to see what this builder did.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

NZ George,
                    Do you know if that ute came from Australia? I took the photo below at a Stude meet I ran here in Melbourne in the 1980s. I always wondered where this ute went!

Leon Martin, Australia.
                    Leon Martin, Australia.

Comment

Hey look, Leon is here. Welcome mate. Yes I remember seeing that ute here in Melbourne about 15 to 20 years ago.

Dave Pink
                      Victoria, Australia

1913 SA25 Town Car
                      1916 SF Roadster
                      1925 ER Tourer
                      1925 Panel Delivery
                      1953 Champion Sedan
                      1957 Golden Hawk

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                      Dave Pink
                      Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                      1925 ER Tourer
                      1925 Panel Delivery
                      1953 Champion Sedan
                      1957 Golden Hawk
                      1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                      http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

This reminds me of the Studechero that Colin Horton built half Stude and half Rancharo in the late 70's here on Vancouver Island, Wonder where that is now?
                        This one is very nice.
                        Rob Davies

Comment

Hi Leon, Owens ute has always been in NZ. I think it was built up by a panel shop in Dunedin When Owen got it, it never had a tail gate but when he restored it he made one and fitted it. Will put some photos up when I get them.

Comment

Hi everyone, great to see there is so much interest in my father's much loved/prized 63 Lark Ute (or "pick up") as you call it in the USA. <grin> NZ George has got in touch with us and as my father (Owen Offen) computer skills aren't that great - thought I'd come in and check out your forum. Do you get many Kiwi ladies in here? haha Ok - here is some background information:
                            I can definitely confirm the Ute belongs to NZ - it's never been in Aussie!!! Apparently Studebaker cars were sent over to NZ in crates and were assembled in NZ (by Volkswagen Assemblers in Petone, Wellington). The first owner of this Studebaker had a trucking business in Balclutha (South Island of New Zealand) and shortly after he purchased the car - he turned it into a ute (which was carried out in Christchurch). This caused quite a "to-do" with the folk in Balclutha, modifying a car that was so relatively new - but as the owner had his own trucking business - one can understand why. Currently my father owns five studebakers, 1955 Commander, 1959 Lark Hardtop, 1960 Earls Court Motor Show Hawk (currently being restored...and possibly only one of two in the world), 1961 Hawk (for parts) and his prized 1963 Lark Ute/Pickup, (which he's owned for over 20 years). I see NZ George is going to get some picks, if I'm out and about with my digital camera I maybe able to load some sooner. Just let me know if you have any questions - my Dad is more than happy to answer any questions - he's been a mechanic/petrol head working on Studes for over 40 years!!
                            Enjoy your day! Cheers Allie :->

Comment

Thanks Allie, and welcome! I'm a Lark fanatic anyway, and when I saw this one I loved it! I'm hoping for more pictures of this beauty, especially the rear (bed) area and the inside. I'd love to see how they built it.

Tell your Dad some guy way up in the northeast United States saw his ute and fell in love with it. Isn't the internet great??[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X