Who's restoring Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's restoring Avanti's

I have noticed a lot of new names springing up lately restoring Avanti's, or maybe they are new names to me,.
    Anyway here's your chance to fess up.
    I'll start.
    I'm currently restoring R1499 63R2,auto,ps,pw.
    I'm going to add A/C as it will be an 'everday' car.
    Work so far includes a replaced chassis and hog troughs. Motor has been rebuilt, gearbox is in being rebuilt and I'm tackling the body work.
    pb

RQB-3651, not exactly a restoration but an upgrade of a decent ten footer to a nice street machine/driver.

The 305 has left the building (Guess it must be a 1-8 birthday for two people I know) and been replaced with a built 355 SBC backed by a Stage-1 200R4 and soon to be installed 4:10 TT Dana 44.

Interior is full leather but the sound system and veneer panels are under going an upgrade. Brakes are Steel-Tek and the computer is now AWOL.

The cold weather has slowed but not stopped the build.

Bob

Comment

I am going to be fixing one for candb as soon as bob brings it to me.

fred

Comment

R3858. Runs and drives, R1 auto. Needs interior, body repair and paint. I've owned it since '85. Makes a great ratrod at shows.
        Rob

Comment

63R-2502 R2, bought in RI in September 09, been working ever since just to get it to stop and run. She is now in VA. Had not been run in 10 to 15 years, and not out of the garage in 30. Needed just about everything I have touched, slowly replacing all the major components as I work my way through it. Only major upgrade was Turner conversion front brakes. Have had alternator, supercharger, distributor, rear brakes and carb all rebuilt. All new rubber bumpers, fan belts, fuel lines, radiator hoses, spark plugs, etc, etc. Been a fun journey so far. Still have lots to do such as remount hood (fiberglass broken at mounting points), body work, and front seat tear repair.

John

1963 Avanti R2
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

I've been working on Studes since I can remember. Came home from the hospital in a 56 Golden Hawk. Remember washing the rear deck lid of dads' 62 GT Hawk when I was about 4.
            I've restored of worked on at least 5 Avantis around the area.
            I did a partial paint and body repair on Chuck Decker's Avanti and he won 1st in class at Cedar Rapids and best of show at Chicago .
            I also did Paul Millers 63.
            if I understand your original question

Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-242-3530

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My Avanti is missing the serial tag... Guess I can't be "in the clique"!

Comment

I've been working on 63R-2382 R1, Auto, AC, PS, PW on and off (mostly off) since 2003. I've rebuilt the engine, installed all of the front end fiberglass, upgraded the brakes, installed a new dash cover, had the gauges redone, and moved the battery to the trunk. Next I'm going to pull the powershift back out and replace it with a GM OD Auto, install a pair of Fairborn flanged axles, and maybe put in some late model Camaro seats.

I'm probably one of the few people that is de-optioning an Avanti. I've already removed the A/C compressor and I've collected all the parts except for one to convert over to manual windows. If I can find a radio delete plate I'd pull the radio out and hide something newer in the console. The power steering leaks like a sieve so I have to rebuild the ram (everything else has been done), but if that doesn't solve the problem its coming out.

Nick

Comment

Work continues daily on 63R2333. Should be leaving the repair shop soon for return visit to the body shop to get finishing touches. [^]

edp/NC
                  '63 Avanti
                  '66 Commander
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

No serial tag=A bastard orphan. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I really like the A/C with supercharger idea. How much is that gonna cost? My wife cannot live w/o AC... Thanks![8D]

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
                        edp/NC
                        '63 Avanti
                        '66 Commander
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

My Avanti is missing the serial tag... Guess I can't be "in the clique"!
                          Avanti II's came without VIN plates on the frame. They have their ID plates on the front of the driver's door jamb. Maybe your car was reframed at one time with an Avanti II frame? It's always possible your plate was removed by someone in the past...it's only held on with pop rivets if I'm not mistaken.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

I really like the A/C with supercharger idea. How much is that gonna cost? My wife cannot live w/o AC... Thanks![8D]
                            My car originally had AC so interior AC components only need to be cleaned, pressure tested, etc. as they will be left the same. The original York compressor comes off as SC goes in that area under hood, new expansion valve, hoses, etc. and the Sanden compressor from a parts house. Mike has the necessary mounting brackets etc. The parts cost not to much just labor. Once its done I'll have a better idea of cost. If your car doesn't have air at all then you would need to locate Avanti or Avanti II interior dash control and equipment, probably running up cost considerably.

sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

If you want to keep the supercharger then it can get compilcated. I'm locating the compressor below the power steering pump. I purchased the evaporator sometime ago with the appropriate interior components.
                              Will put a modern compressor,dryer and condenser to complete the process.
                              Might turn out expensive but I want to drive it often.

Matt
                              Just make up your own serial number. Make it one that has a factory R3 installed so you can be special too.

Comment

Working...
                              X