Left or Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left or Right

My 1951 Commander is finally going back together, and now I'm puzzled by what I find with the brake drums. The car has later brakes on it, with the finned iron brake drums. It turns out that the rear drums have right-handed studs on them, and both fronts have left-handed studs. I guess to be original, they should be left-handed on the left side of the car, and right-handed on the right. But obviously the current situation is asking for future confusion. I'm inclined to just replace the front studs and have right-handed threads all around. Why not make life simple. Any comments on that?

Whatever I decide, half of the wheel studs are going to have to be replaced - is that a job I can do myself, if I have access to a hydraulic press?

Jim Beckman
    Leonardo, NJ
    1951 Commander Starlight

Hydraulic Press, yes, but......The old studs are a light press in the hub, but the brake drum is crimped around each stud. I drilled out the studs and worked them with a die grinder to get them loose. Pressing them out may well distort the hub and the drum. Pressing them in won't crimp them in the drum. something will have to be done to secure the drum on the studs.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Continue reassembling your car as if you didn't know any better. Life is too short.

Comment

Sometimes the simplest thing is to leave things as they are, if there is nothing really wrong with them. Just hafta remember which way to turn the lug wrench (also very simple). Just my 2.9 cents worth, for whatever that's worth. LH

Straight from the horse's mouth
        Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

The Beatles sang it best - "Let it be, let it be".

Doug
          Venice, Florida
          1950 Champion
          9G F1

Comment

The only risk is those Tire Store guys! You have to stand over them and hammer it into their head, or you will not get it through to them and often that is NOT allowed!

The Service writer could write it on the work order, but what are the chances the Tech. can read, will read etc?

Maybe stenciled on the drum in red paint "LEFT HAND STUDS!" MIGHT work!

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Drum? I'd want it on the Wheel. You can't see the drum before the wheel is pulled.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

It should be noted on the wheel and drum. Possibly on the dust cap up front. I don't know about the back but could put a sign on the rear fenders. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I will tell any tire store manager that won't let me stand behind the worker while he/she is changing my wheels because of his insurance "Then your insurance will buy me new drums, studs and nuts".

There is a real funny joke in "left hand studs", but it just isn't coming out very easy.

And instead of "changing my wheels", I REALLY wanted to say "play with my nuts", but decided not to. You're all welcome.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I had to replace two rotors in my daily car from tire store over-tightening.
                    "Yeah, we torque 'em to 90 lbs" AFTER they impact them on to 300lbs.
                    Now when I rotate them or get home from buying a new set (from any tire store) I loosen and torque to 90 f/p.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I will tell any tire store manager that won't let me stand behind the worker while he/she is changing my wheels because of his insurance "Then your insurance will buy me new drums, studs and nuts".

There is a real funny joke in "left hand studs", but it just isn't coming out very easy.

And instead of "changing my wheels", I REALLY wanted to say "play with my nuts", but decided not to. You're all welcome.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Looking at your name (both given and surname) as well as your 'nut' comment-----------I almost lost it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
                      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                      X