Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips/advice before buying a 51 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips/advice before buying a 51 Commander?

Bonjour!

I got good advice a few months ago on a 62 GT Hawk for sale on Oahu. I will actually have a look at it next week (meanwhile, the price dropped as it has not sold yet...). The pictures are still available here:

I also found a 51 Commander for sale and I will have a look at it too at the same time (I live on the Big Island). You can have a look at some pictures here:

So, same questions as before... Anything I should pay more attention too when looking at it? Any comments on the model reliability and known flows, if any?

I don't want to stir a debate but which one of the two would make a better daily driver, based on your experience?

Mahalo nui...

Aloha,
    Christian

Just to clarify, they are both on Oahu, but not the same owner... Hence the idea of looking at them on the same day while flying just once I guess you corrected the "attention to" (instead of "to")... sorry

Comment

Wow what a choice. Me I would strongly consider the 51 I drive a 49 Champion Daily. The Hawk is nice but the 51 is alot easier to get in and out of. The seats are really comfortable the seat height is great. And that one is a automatic so easier for the hills driving. Just my two cents worth.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Just me, personally, I'd go with the '51, myself. Anne's right about the comfort, the 'bling' is better, too.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Aloha Chris,

I've seen both of these cars posted for sale (I'm on Kauai) and my opinion is the '51 is a little over priced and the '62 is a little under. I know the owner of the '62 has been trying to sell it for some time now, and I'm willing to bet he would entertain an even lesser offer. He has been selling off a number of cars from his collection, and judging by their overall condition, he buys very nice examples. The '62 also has the 4-speed which adds some value.

Not knowing the past history of the '51, I'd want to find out how long it has been in the islands and would be concerned what might be lurking under paint since it looks somewhat fresh and since the '51 is 10 years older than the '62. I believe the '62 was a former California car, and having lived in California all my life and having owned more than a few, I can tell you CA cars (if taken care of) are typically very solid examples.

If that GT was on the mainland, it would likely have already been sold by now.

Comment

Personally I would take the GT. If you get the '51 you need to get a battery hold down! Also be sure to see if the tail lights work, in the next to last picture all the vehicles show glowing tail lights but the Stude.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I like both!

Comment

I'm with Guido on the battery hold down, I'd also suggest some six volt battery cables. That Optima will really crank the engine without those 4 ga chokes in the circuit.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                ....On the road, again....
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

I agree with Anne, the '51 handles better and is quite comfortable. The steering is good, one of the best made by Studebaker, and its rugged over built suspension is icing on the cake. Take a second look at the '51 in condition which is suggested, that is really going to narrow your search. I've never owned a GT hawk but wouldn't turn one down. FIND THE BEST EXAMPLE FOR THE PRICE. You can't go wrong with either car. But then again I'm not biased.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

I've owned both a 62 GT and a 52 coupe and both are fine cars, but given a choice I would go with the 51.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far!

The Hawk was just sold to a collector on Maui... Too bad

I am not really fond of the 51 Commander lines, though it is an interesting step in the history of automotive aesthetics

I'll see what I do... Thanks for the comments so far, and more are welcome!

Aloha,
                      Christian

Comment

Too; all 1951-66 Studes as well as Avanti's till ca. 1985 all use the same basic front suspension so parts availability will not be an issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I too at one time was not real fond of the 51 styling. It kind of grows on you after awhile. After owning one for a few years now I can tell you that it is a fun car to drive and fairly trouble free. The 51 was probably one of Studebakers best
                          quote:Originally posted by ChrisHawaii

Thanks for the comments so far!

The Hawk was just sold to a collector on Maui... Too bad

I am not really fond of the 51 Commander lines, though it is an interesting step in the history of automotive aesthetics

I'll see what I do... Thanks for the comments so far, and more are welcome!

Aloha,
                          Christian
                          66 Commander R1 Clone
                          51 Commander 4dr
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                          X