What happens when you lube tapered axle ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when you lube tapered axle ends

During my recent brake job, I incurred an extra press labor charge due to the need to swap out a hub on my new rear brake drums. (This is not a complaint - this stuff happens. No big.)

The reason? Someone, somewhere, had lubed their tapered axle end to ease hub/drum reinstallation, with the result shown below:

That hub eased right on when the axle nut got torqued down, alright - and split the keyway right out in the process. I'd read about this here before, but never seen it!

A good lesson for newbies (like yours truly [)])

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

And for comparison, here's what it's supposed to look like.

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Is it possible that these hubs were over tightened, and the
        splitting keyway had nothing to do with grease? My book says
        170 ft.lbs., it would be easy to exceed if you didn't use a
        torque wrench.

Comment

Someone that is unfamiliar with Studebakers may have used an impact wrench instead of a torque wrench when they installed the rear drums. I've seen several Stude hubs that were split and I don't know if it was due to grease or overtightening. It's tough to tell after the hub has been on the axle for many years. Bud

Comment

Thanks for posting this. You will probably never know how many beginners you kept from making this mistake - myself included.

Doug
            Venice, Florida
            1950 Champion
            9G F1

Comment

I'm not sure a bit of overtightening would do that. The specs say 170, then turn the castle nut to the next slot for the cotter key. That could easily put it over 200. I'd say it would take grease to do it. Or possibly repeated wheel hop.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

I have been with the understanding that the tapered shaft should never be greased when restalling the drum but clean and dry?MAC

Comment

You are right. Grease should never be used on tapered rear axles because they slip and split. Thanks for the photo and warning. I have to do my rear brakes next.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Agreed, axle and hub should be clean and dry. But this damage looks more to me like it was caused by an improperly positioned axle key.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain is right. The key was installed wrong.

Studeski

Claude Chmielewski
                      Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                      47 M-16 Truck
                      62 GT Hawk
                      63 Lark
                      64 Commander Wagonaire
                      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                      63 GT Hawk R2
                      [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
                      1936 Dictator
                      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                      1953 Commander Regal HT
                      1953 2R5 Pickup
                      1947 M16 Truck
                      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                      1963 GT Hawk R2
                      1964 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

How do you install the key wrong? I want to avoid doing that!

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

My friend Keith alerted me to this thread. Here is what he wrote. He made it convenient for me as I type real slow.

To cause the damage as shown in the photos, the key would need to ride up the radiused part of the axle taper, as the drum was tightened. This is what caused the distortion bump, in the area where the seal rides.
                          A hub that was overtightened would crack lengthwise with the key, but would not produce a bump like that.
                          Lastly, A hub that was not properly seated, or with the nut slightly loose, can crack from driveline torque, noticeable when going from forward to reverse. This is a familiar sound on a Studebaker, if you listen to a few. If left like that, failures can occur.

Also, the key needs to be positioned with the tapered end facing the axle, on the inside end. If the key is not positioned that way, it can dig into the axle shaft, causing a stress raiser. A nick on that part of the axle shaft, could eventually cause a crack of the axle itself, leading to eventual breakage.

The best way to avoid the key riding up, is to install the key after the drum is seated, just before the nut is tightened. Sometimes this may be a little tricky, if the axle threads are burred slightly.

When I do it, I leave the key stick out about 1/4" and use a brass drift to position the key flush with the outer end of the hub.

If you paid somebody, to do the work and they had the key slip forward damaging the hub, you should ask for a refund.

Claude Chmielewski
                          Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                          47 M-16 Truck
                          62 GT Hawk
                          63 Lark
                          64 Commander Wagonaire
                          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                          63 GT Hawk R2
                          [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
                          1936 Dictator
                          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                          1953 Commander Regal HT
                          1953 2R5 Pickup
                          1947 M16 Truck
                          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                          1963 GT Hawk R2
                          1964 Daytona Convertible
                          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

This topic brought a smile to my face. Yep, me too. Been there, done that.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

How do you install the key wrong? I want to avoid doing that!
                              I can simplify it for you Clark: the Axle Key goes with the beveled end (taper) down and INBOARD also DRY! ...when the axle slot is facing UP.

I like simple!

Some of you may want to remember also that the Axles did change about 1957, the keyway is longer in the older axles on assemblies and loose axles, so you must have the LONG or Short Axle Key to match. [:0]

After 40-50 years, a '63 just MAY have, a '55 Axle Assem. or Axles in it, unless you knew it from birth!
                              The older axle housings have the plugs to remove & install kerks to grease Brgs. and a drain plug on the Diff.

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X