Fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump

Will installing an electric fuel pump solve hard starting on my '56 Sky Hawk?

peter lee
    peter lee

Peter - I think a little more info is needed before a diagnosis can be made... there are a number of issues that could cause hard starting, a fuel pump problem is only one of them.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

It helped on mine when I was stranded without a replacement. Got me home (25 miles) until it blew the needle and seat out of the carbuerator (it had no regulator). There are probably better fixes and as Mark 57 said, a little more info might help in the diagnosis.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hot start, cold start, short storage, long storage (time parked)? [?] [?]

For over 1 to 3 days parked, the new highly evaporative 10% Alcohol fuels will evaporate from the Carb. also an old Carb. with the bowl sealant long gone, will "seep" fuel.

The #1 most common reason for slow starting, is poor CHOKE adjustment! [:0] You need a almost closed choke, to cold start any engine.

You also NEED a good hot spark with properly adjusted non-pitted points or a Pertronix Electronic Ignition module. Also GOOD: Cap, Rotor, Plug wires, spark plugs, coil (and condenser if equipped).

Always remove the fuel line at the Carb. and let it go in a small container while cranking with a remote starter switch, to prove a bad fuel pump, lines or tank first.

These cars worked fine when new, with mechanical fuel pumps and even pre-1956 with 6 Volt batteries, there is NO reason they cannot NOW!

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

YES!!

Comment

Working...
          X