Por 15 and fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Por 15 and fiberglass

I've read some of the post about Por 15 and fiberglass and I was just wanting to get some info on exactly how to do this.Do you put the por15 on 1st and while wet put the fiberglass with no expoxy or do you add the expoxy?How is this done where it will work?

I haven't done it but am a fan of Por 15. I would think you just apply the fiberglass onto the wet Por 15 and they make sure it is soaked into the fiberglass with another coat of Por 15. no need for the resin. Por 15 dries very hard taking the place of the resin. remember you need to just get rid of the loose rust. Dont clean down to bare steel. The por 15 needs some rust to stick to

1957 Golden Hawk
    "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
    sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

I've done it, I like it.

Wire brush to get rid of the loose flakes of rust. Cut your fiberglass mat or cloth to fit before you start.

Use rubber gloves, (I've gone thru 3 boxes of 50 pair) Paint the POR on with a brush, heavy coat. place your fiberglass where you want it, lard the POR on and completely cover the 'glass. Do Not use any resin or epoxy. The POR bonds to the steel and the 'glass, making it permanent. Make sure there are no bubbles under the 'glass.

This isn't as good as welding in panels, won't really take it's place, but if your floors are lace, it will work. Holes, inches across, well no.

[Edit] I hate forgetting stuff....
      [img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

After having Vettes for several years and doing a little fiberglass work on them.. What can you guys tell me about working with carbon fiber ?? I don't imagine it would be so much for repair as for making a super light part and strong??

Ben

Comment

I agree with Tom B and have used the combination of fiberglass mat and POR15 without resin on the floor of my '55 and it worked very well.

Jim Caldwell
          "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

quote:55 prez Posted - 01/02/2010 : 6:21:42 PM
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I agree with Tom B and have used the combination of fiberglass mat and POR15 without resin on the floor of my '55 and it worked very well.
            How long has it been since you did it?

Comment

I did it on my '53 is 2000, it looks like it did then now. There was an area on the front floor, passenger's side, that had lots of pinholes. I cut a piece of mat to fit, POR'd the floor, put the mat down and painted it to saturate the mat. It is rock hard. I also POR'd the floor underneath. Don't get POR on your glasses, it won't wear off, like it will on your skin.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
              X