Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Felt crank seal-- Where to drill holes? Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt crank seal-- Where to drill holes? Help!!!!

I am installing a felt front seal in my 1963--- 289. Where do I drill the hole or holes to allow excessive oil to drain back into the oil pan. Please help. I need to drive this Stude to Winks. Thanks jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

My practice with the timing cover OFF of the engine, is to drill a small hole on the bottom toward the rear of the sheet metal collar that holds the felt seal on the INSIDE the timing cover.

Once the felt is installed, be sure to wet it with oil or STP before you insert the front hub. Also, be gentle until the hub has passed through the felt.

Comment

Not exactly what you asked for, but still neato (& worth considering).

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks Tom. I am sure I will use the procecure you have recommended, Maybee not in this engine but soon enough. It is probably longer lasting than the felt seal. I'm still driving around on 4 wheel power drum brakes. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thank you SKYWAY for your reply. You are talking about the seal retaining ring aren't you. I remember someone saying that it would be appropriate to drill at around five o'clock position so as not to have the felt seal starving for lubrication. I don't know. jimmijim

Comment

Jimmijim8,

I wasnt necessarily recommending it, just saw it and saved it to my
            favorite places for the future. When I built my Hawk engine 15 years
            ago, there was a kit available - but I dont see it anymore. I ended
            up using the stock felt seal, and I didnt drill anything. Just dont be
            surprised when it starts leaking in a couple 1000 miles.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes, the retaining ring. I never thought about drilling @ 5 versus 6 o'clock; guess it never occurred to me that it could ever be too dry at the felt.

Also, the tip about de-burring the hub is a good one!

Comment

Working...
              X