PDA

View Full Version : Felt crank seal-- Where to drill holes? Help!!!!

jimmijim8
08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I am installing a felt front seal in my 1963--- 289. Where do I drill the hole or holes to allow excessive oil to drain back into the oil pan. Please help. I need to drive this Stude to Winks. Thanks jimmijim

skyway
08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
My practice with the timing cover OFF of the engine, is to drill a small hole on the bottom toward the rear of the sheet metal collar that holds the felt seal on the INSIDE the timing cover.

Once the felt is installed, be sure to wet it with oil or STP before you insert the front hub. Also, be gentle until the hub has passed through the felt.

sbca96
08-23-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/TimingSealConversion/TimingSeal.html

Not exactly what you asked for, but still neato (& worth considering).

Tom

jimmijim8
08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks Tom. I am sure I will use the procecure you have recommended, Maybee not in this engine but soon enough. It is probably longer lasting than the felt seal. I'm still driving around on 4 wheel power drum brakes. jimmijim

jimmijim8
08-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Thank you SKYWAY for your reply. You are talking about the seal retaining ring aren't you. I remember someone saying that it would be appropriate to drill at around five o'clock position so as not to have the felt seal starving for lubrication. I don't know. jimmijim

sbca96
08-24-2006, 02:36 AM
Jimmijim8,

I wasnt necessarily recommending it, just saw it and saved it to my
favorite places for the future. When I built my Hawk engine 15 years
ago, there was a kit available - but I dont see it anymore. I ended
up using the stock felt seal, and I didnt drill anything. Just dont be
surprised when it starts leaking in a couple 1000 miles.;)

Tom

skyway
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Yes, the retaining ring. I never thought about drilling @ 5 versus 6 o'clock; guess it never occurred to me that it could ever be too dry at the felt.

Also, the tip about de-burring the hub is a good one!