Help with seat back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with seat back

We just replaced the gear and the backing plate for the recliner mechanism on a 65 Commander. While at a stop sign, the seat back just collapsed. We obviously did something wrong in installing these parts.

I'm looking for some expert advice as to what to look for.

Thanks

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Hey Jon, My Hawk seats did that, very disconcerting when you are driving[:0]. I replaced al the moving parts in the mechanisms, it still does it ?? I'll be reading the replies with interest.

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Jon did you replace the brass slider with a new one? or get the old one in backwards? I have lots of parts from the seats right and left sides..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
      canbstudebakers-
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

My son and his father in law did the work so I couldn't be sure. He's confident that it's in correctly. He found half a screw on the floor so he's going to take it apart tomorrow in the hopes it only needs a new screw. I ordered the new parts at SI per your recommendation Bob.

Jon Stalnaker
        Editor, Hawk Talks
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

If all the parts have been replaced, including the brass gear, you probably have the seat metal frame stretched out a bit and all those new parts will still not be safe. I bet the passenger side works fine, or is better than the driver's side, right? A sharp new brass gear with the new stronger... and longer pin that SI sells is a must for this repair. So is the correct tightness for the handle critical. Careful while tightening; those little screws and/or bolts break off easily...not too tight!!

Others like Studeman may have their own methods and the correct way to do it, but this has worked for me on several seats that I've been frustrated by over the years: While standing outside of the door area view how much slop there is by firmly pulling the seat top back and forth toward you. If you can feel or see that it has a lot of play, especially in the gear housing area, you can see why it is just too loose to work correctly. The problem may be that swivel mount plate welded to the frame has been pulled out a bit over the decades as a result of pulling on the seat back to get in and out, or big bodies putting all their weight on the seat back, etc. Common problem.

I've had success by removing the seat back again (sorry) and with a small sledge I tenderly (okay, a little firm, it's hard steel) tapped the outside of the mount area back toward the center to get it as close as possible to the original tolerance. Test it until the slop is removed and it fits pretty tight again. The parts work much better when the play is gone, or at least tighter. I use spray silicone lubricant inside the housing for the back of the gear slide area. It will never be as secure and safe as the new reclining seat backs, but my seat never collapses anymore when I hit a bump, or have over-done it at dinner and am leaning back too hard.

The center pin post between the seat backs for the inner swivel point has a hole that gets worn and that fix is a little tougher. That can either be welded a bit and drilled back to a smaller tolerance, or find an insert that can be pressed into that hole. That hole being enlarged is one of the variables as to why most driver's side seat backs do not line up with the passenger side, much to the consternation of the little detail guys.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Comment

Working...
          X