Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Hawk Steering

I'm reasonably happy with my Hawk (58) steering except at low
    speeds and parking, where it is like trying to turn a mack truck.
    My front end is well lubricated etc. so I don't see how I can
    get much improvement without modifying something. Just wondering what kind of improvement, if any, I would get in this regard by
    adapting the later Lark (recirculating ball type) Saginaw steering box to my Hawk. Wondering if there is someone on the forum
    who has gone this route before. Thanks,

Joe D.

Hey Joe. Do you have power steering? Dan

Comment

No power steering; My steering is very light at higher speeds
      which I guess is typical of this era car, but a bear at low speed.
      I've just heard that the later saginaw steering is a great improvement over the Ross box and was wondering if it would
      improve my low speed steering. Thanks,
      Joe

Comment

Yes, the Saginaw box is a quantum improvement.

No, it is not an easy bolt-in. The Lark column is shorter and the angle and bolt pattern is different.

Maybe, a search here will give you a lot of info. This question has been discussed in great detail several times.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Use less reverse in your wheels and more tire pressure. If it's a lot harder with the brake on, your wheels have too much reverse because they have to roll to follow the increased arc. The old tires were originally bias ply which had only about 25% of the tread to road contact as radials. You would probably have to go to about fifty pounds in a radial to equal the same amount of contact as a bias play at 28 pounds. Of course, the middle of your tire will wear out early, but it's still safer than the originals. I would consider going to at least 35. You would still have good contact and center treadwear would be more acceptable.

Comment

How about a Saginaw box and column out of a 53 Champion coupe. Should be a bolt in. I don't think the hawk steering wheel will fit on the early column.

Richard Burks
            Middle TN SDC
            53s
            57 Transtar
            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
            sigpic
            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeous

How about a Saginaw box and column out of a 53 Champion coupe. Should be a bolt in. I don't think the hawk steering wheel will fit on the early column.

Richard Burks
              Middle TN SDC
              53s
              57 Transtar
              Only thing about this choice is that the '53/'54 Saginaw box was not the recirculating ball type like the Larks used. It is a weird (to me) giant 'wheel' on the sector shaft that contacts an equally weird shaped worm.

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Buddymander you lost me.. what do you mean use less reverse in my wheels? I'm aware that the Saginaw unit has to be modified to fit, I did see an earlier post on that, as well as an article describing the process. (mating part of the Hawk column to the Saginaw column, etc.) no easy job for sure, but I might consider it if the end result would be worth the effort. I already have a Saginaw box
                that I picked up cheap last year. I figured if I don't use it I can always re-sell it.

Joe D.

Comment

Get the Bendix power assist unit and whole shmear out of a later model hawk. 61-64. Better looking and smaller steering wheel. JDP had a complete 1957 {I think Saginaw} unit that had your name written all over it. It was from a Hawk so a direct bolt in. My first choice. Stude went the cheaper route and quit using them. $350. complete everything. Thats a fair price if you need it. Others may have it cheaper. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

You mention two things; power assisted 61-64 units and then a 57 unit that JDP has? Which are you recommending?
                    Joe

Comment

If your wheels stick out from stock and the tread isn't centered where it was originally, the arc of travel the spindle makes is on a longer radius. Look at your wheel when you turn and see if the tire sits in one spot when it pivots, or if it has to roll in order to turn. Compare your rims to stockers and see if they have the same offset. You can go wider, but they have to have the same offset in order to center the tread in the original steering pivot point.

Comment

My first choice would be the 1957 saginaw power gear steering {complete everything} that JDP had a couple weeks ago. If ya can't get a good one like his set up get the different type {bendix type} from a 58-9-60- Hawk or {61-62-3-4-which uses a different more modern looking steering wheel than 58-9-60} All Hawk{58-thru 64} Bendix power assist steering units include:{Column, wheel,steering gear, pittman arm and control valve assembly+hoses, bellcrank, pump with output and return hoses, belt. hydraulic cyllinder and stuff to mount it with. That should do it. Hope this helps to clear things up a bit. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Someone had an article in Turning Wheels a few years ago on the later Saginaw Steering gear in a older Hawk and offered the mounting bracket for sale.
                          Anyone knows which issue that was!

Comment

IMHO, When it is working correctly, the Saginaw PS system drives much better than the Bendix system. However, unless you get one off a working car, or are a very competent shadetree, the Saginaw can be a money pit to pay someone to rebuild it.

If it were my car, I'd put the later Saginaw manual steering in it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

My Hawk has the stock 14" wheels so there is no
                              offset problem; It does have radials however which
                              I know will make low speed steering more difficult. I have considered the power steering option, but I
                              am concerned that will make higher speed steering even more loose
                              than it is now. I was hoping there was someone who has done the
                              Saginaw box conversion and can provided feedback on the results.
                              The following article details the conversion (although I don't
                              have a clear copy of the article so I am not sure exactly what
                              all is involved).

Thanks to everyone for your comments and recommendations.
                              Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X