Shipping Adventures: Boxing $1000 Avanti bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Adventures: Boxing $1000 Avanti bumpers

The guy who bought the bumpers was a bit concerned about the condition they might arrive in. I was as well, so I figured I may as well go all out. He spent good money on the parts, so I went to the hardware store and got a deal on some plywood and put together this box. It turned out so nice I thought I would share. I felt like I was working at the Avanti factory and was shipping to an important client. Here is the result.

sals54
    sals54

Nice work; do you do coffins?

Comment

Nice work; do you do coffins?

Comment

I tried to get my wife to let me build my own box just like this one. I could use it as part of my work bench. I was just thinking of how much we could save later. She didn't go for it.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

I don't think even UPS could hurt those bumpers now. [}]

Doug
          Venice, Florida
          1950 Champion
          9G F1

Comment

WHERE'S THE PEANUTS

Tom

sigpic

Comment

The old Newman and Altman destroyed many a new part, because they would only put a little tape around the ORIGINAL old boxes and packing that had been rotting for 40 years.

I wanted a grille for a 57 sedan years ago and after two or three were wasted to inappropriate packing, I bought one when I was there and my dad built a box like this to ship it in.

Ask Jeff about the bulletproof crate I sent his T-85 in recently.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The peanuts would have been overkill to the extreme. The box is make to hold the bumpers intact with bubble wrap. The wood blocks that are added to the interior keep the bumpers from wandering, and the paper is just added cushion to be sure they stay put. I did not want any rubbing in the chrome, even from the bubble. There's no rattling in this box.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

I did the same thing with a set of NOS fenders that I
                  had to send to Texas.Someone pays good money for stuff
                  I wouldnt feel right if it wasnt packaged to survive
                  most anything.They arrived undamaged which made us both happy.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Invalid User Name

I don't think even UPS could hurt those bumpers now.
                    My money remains on UPS. The box is only plywood. I think only 1/4" steel plate welded by a qualified welder stands a chance.

I've had them break an electric golf cart in original custom formed foam packing.

Bob

Comment

Rather than use bubble wrap and newspapers, I recommend spraying the box full of expanding foam insulation. It provides cushion, holds the bumpers in place, it cant fall out, and it will help the package float in case it lands in the ocean. As for the customer removing the insulation....thats another matter. [B)]

1949 2R17
                      R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Milaca, The box as a floatation device was something that had not occurred to me. It is going to Chicago. Perhaps the truck might end up in Lake Michigan. Those bumpers could be the only thing that would save the driver's life????? Maybe I should use foam.....

sals54
                        sals54

Comment

I DO hope you used screws in that top to aid in getting it off.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

LOL, two weeks later the guy that purchased the bumpers will come on this forum asking how to remove expanding foam insulation from chrome plated bumpers. I'm curious what kind of responses he would receive. [8D]

1949 2R17
                            R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I DO hope you used screws in that top to aid in getting it off.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Everything there but the bumpers is flammable, so throw the entire package into a fire and then pull the bumpers out when everything has cooled off. [8D]

1949 2R17
                              R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X