studebaker 289 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker 289 engine

I have a 62 Lark Daytona with a blown 289 engine. I have found a 64 Hawk 289 engine that has been rebuilt. The engine is a PK303 - anyone know if that is correct? I want to know what the transfer would entail? Would I need new motor mounts, what about the tranny? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you Inovia

Your engine is a 289 that was built Oct 3, 1963.

Engine ID here:

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

What a coincidence, the engine in my Hawk was built on Oct 3, 1963.[8D]

Comment

As far as mounting the engine - it would be a direct swap. The Stude V8 configurations didn't change. Since your Lark had a V8, no motor mount (metal mounts) change is necessary . However, you would want to change out the rubber "motor mounts". You'll need to post more here about the trans swap your intending for more help on this. Was the Lark a 4-speed? Was the Hawk an automatic? Depending on the two engine/trans setups, there are diffent things you'd have to do, but none of them are significant.

--Paul

Comment

Everything will be a direct bolt on swap.
          Only thing needed would be to dial in the bellhousing to the new engine block.
          HTIH
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by inovia

I have a 62 Lark Daytona with a blown 289 engine. I have found a 64 Hawk 289 engine that has been rebuilt. The engine is a PK303 - anyone know if that is correct? I want to know what the transfer would entail? Would I need new motor mounts, what about the tranny? Any help would be appreciated.
          Thank you Inovia
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Don't throw away the blown engine, there may be some good parts in it. Is it a full-flow block(oil filter at lower right rear of the engine? Or is it a partial flow block(filter on top)? Don't scrap a full flow block.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, in regards to the transmission my old tranny is a 2 speed automatic but I would like to use the tranny out of the 64 hawk it is an automatic as well. Do you think there will be many chages that I will have to make. Thanks

Comment

If it's the original transmission in your car it's a 3-speed automatic, but it has second-gear start, which confuses a lot of people into thinking it's a 2-speed. The Hawk transmission will be the same, unless it is a Powershift. The Powershift also starts in second gear, but it has a different shift pattern on the manual shifter.

Swapping the complete engine-transmission assembly would obviate the need to dial-indicate the bellhousing.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

In that case - it WILL be a direct swap! Get yourself a new set of the rear rubber mounts as well. They bolt to the rear of the bellhousing and to the frame cross-member. Keep the Hawk engine/trans together and drop the whole thing in. Don't forget about disconnecting the ground jumper wire between the rt engine mount and the frame - and re-connecting it to the new engine.

--Paul

Comment

quote:Originally posted by inovia

Thanks for the responses, in regards to the transmission my old tranny is a 2 speed automatic but I would like to use the tranny out of the 64 hawk it is an automatic as well. Do you think there will be many chages that I will have to make. Thanks
                    Your '62 trans STARTS in 2nd gear, but it is a 3 speed transmission. It will start in 1st if you manually move the shift lever to L or if you floor it from a stop.

The '64 trans is most likely identical (both Flightomatics). Most '64 Hawks were made with the same trans that is in your '62. There were two other versions of the same trans, however. One was water cooled and called a Heavy Duty Flightomatic. It also started out in second. There was also a Powershift available. It was floor shifted not column shifted like the Flightomatics. It had a different valve body that allowed you to hold 1st or second and had a different shift quadrant (PRN321 instead of PNDLR). It still started out normally in second.

Whatever transmission you decide to use, keep the bell housing from the '64 engine so that you don't have to dial in a different housing.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks everybody for the great information.

Comment

When you say your existing engine is blown, what exactly do you mean? A broken connecting rod? A head gasket leak? Just curious here.

1949 2R17
                        R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                        X