49 commander convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 commander convertible

Hello folks and Happy Holidays! I just registered so please bear with me if I seem a little clueless. I don't know anybody who owns a Stude that I can ask any questions.I've got Pontiac and Dodge cronies for my other cars but they scratch their heads and look at me funny when I mention Studebaker.What I'm looking for is Stude owner opinions on a car that I'm thinking about buying from a friend.It's a 49(maybe a 48) commander regal deluxe convertible that he's almost finished doing a frame-on restoration on.The price seems good for what I'm thinking is a #2 car but what I really want to know is are these cars pleasent to own and drive? I like the fact that it's different but I've never owned anything this old and my wife gives me the stink-eye whenever I mention it.And she loves convertibles. Are they problematic? Are they a chore to drive? Any opinions would be welcome...thanks in advance!

Welcome to the madness, Moneypit2! You now have about 12,000 friends, over 3,000 of whom know how to type. And every one of us knows something. My something is not about 48/9 Commander convertible.

One of my somethings is how much fun it is to own and drive a Studebaker. They're easy to work on, parts are much more available than you would think, and when they run they go on and on and on.

With a restoration as a start, your wife is gonna fall in love with it quickly as soon as she gets in for a ride.

Now wait for Commander people to reply.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Before you plunk down 25 cents on the car, look at the front of both frame rails. If there is no weight attached to a mini leaf spring coming off each of the frame rails run like hell from the car.

The ride and the handling of the 47-49's is magnificent as they use the Planar suspension, what the Corvette is using today. It is a transverse spring runing between the two front wheels. Make sure overdrive is working unless the car does not have the wiing done. Check window fit and fit to top. If the car has a top make sure that the rear window cannot be unzipped and that there is a small rear window mounted in the fabric. If you can, show us some photos so we can see the car.

The motor in the 48-49 model years was much stringer than the 47 model year and I believe it is 246 cubic inches but I could be wrong, memory going south. I have 47 that I could no longer work on so it is at a place right now awaiting some parts. My 47 Starlight Coupe would, with overdive cruise at 65 mph and not goover 1600 rpm.

If you do buy it, add a Turner Dual Master Cylinder kit ASAP and to be even safer install his disc brakes. All Told about a four hour deive not counting the bleeding. The 47-49's have self adjusting brakes and it is a bit of a chore to explain how it works.

If the current owner hasn't dones so, buy ORIGINAL Body Parts Catalog and Chassis Parts Catalog and Service Manual. TThey usuallly run about $30 more than the reprints.

BG

Comment

Before you plunk down 25 cents on the car, look at the front of both frame rails. If there is no weight attached to a mini leaf spring coming off each of the frame rails run like hell from the car.

The ride and the handling of the 47-49's is magnificent as they use the Planar suspension, what the Corvette is using today. It is a transverse spring runing between the two front wheels. Make sure overdrive is working unless the car does not have the wiing done. Check window fit and fit to top. If the car has a top make sure that the rear window cannot be unzipped and that there is a small rear window mounted in the fabric. If you can, show us some photos so we can see the car.

The motor in the 48-49 model years was much stringer than the 47 model year and I believe it is 246 cubic inches but I could be wrong, memory going south. I have 47 that I could no longer work on so it is at a place right now awaiting some parts. My 47 Starlight Coupe would, with overdive cruise at 65 mph and not goover 1600 rpm.

If you do buy it, add a Turner Dual Master Cylinder kit ASAP and to be even safer install his disc brakes. All Told about a four hour deive not counting the bleeding. The 47-49's have self adjusting brakes and it is a bit of a chore to explain how it works.

If the current owner hasn't dones so, buy ORIGINAL Body Parts Catalog and Chassis Parts Catalog and Service Manual. TThey usuallly run about $30 more than the reprints.

BG

Comment

I have and drive daily a 1949 Champion have been driving it for 4 years. Would love to have a convertible.You can see in my signature photo. Please post some pictures then we can help better also where do you live? it makes things easier for us to get someone local for you to help you. If you notice where I'm from is with my name. Welcome to the forum.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

I am glad that Bill G. posted already. The first thing that I thought of was the counterbalance weights (that Bill mentioned).

These are nice cars. They are boulevard cruisers and not sports cars. They have a very comfortable ride and have enough power and go down the road well. They are like other cars of the time in that they are a bit top heavy in cornering. Keep in mind that the car is 60 years old. It will not drive like a car from the 1960s, let alone a modern car.

Before you spend a lot of money on the car, have someone with knowledge of them examine the car, even if you have to pay for transportation. Where are you? Many shops that "restore" cars get many things wrong on Studebakers if they are not a shop that specializes in Studebakers.

A friend has an unrestored, 52K mile, 1949 Land Cruiser (the large sedan), that is losing its original paint and needs interior, for sale for $1600. It takes a lot of time, money and effort to bring a car up to true restored condition.

The 1949 Commander uses a 245.6 cubic inch engine. The 1949 Champion uses a 169.6 cubic inch engine. There is a big difference in driving the two. Anne mentions driving her 1949 Champion. If I remember correctly, her car has a larger/later engine installed that will make it drive nicer.

Years ago, I was involved in restoring a 1949 Commander Starlight. It became a national senior first winner. We converted that car from standard transmission to an overdrive unit. That made the car much nicer to drive any distance.

Welcome and join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this site, only $19.95).

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I have a 1950 that I have owned since 92 and I love to work on it almost as much as driving it. I'm not mechanical but there are guys on here that will walk you thru just about any project. My guess is you will love the car if you get it.

Doug
              Venice, Florida
              1950 Champion
              9G F1

Comment

Thanks for all the input so far everyone!I'll look for the counter balance weights first thing.Thanks Bill.I like the easy to work on part...I got tired of the many problems working on my 73 Charger (moneypit 2..she's fine now)and used a lot of words I don't normally use! I swore the next car would be done when I got it.I like knowing what went into it as it progressed though. I'll post pics after I look at it. I'm in north jersey and the shop that did the bulk of the metal work did a very nice job on my 69 GP( moneypit 1) but I'm sure they don't specialize in Studebakers. I refered the present owner to them for the job but kind of felt a little bad when it took them more than 2 years to do their part before it went to the interior/roof shop. I've cringed with the cash that goes into most projects even if things go fairly well. My wife learned this the hard way with her Rustang..

Comment

Working...
                X