Twin Traction Truck rear ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Traction Truck rear ends

I'd like to put a TT rear end in my '59 half ton pickup. Preferably a 3.54 to 3.90 or so ratio. If anybody has one, I have a 3.31 TT Dana 44 from a Lark I'd trade. Even has brand new flanged axles in it.

Matthew Burnette
    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Just cut the center out of a 455.1 last week, saving the unit for something later, saved the axles also...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Now that's a ratio!

Comment

Hey Bob will that set up work in a car axle? if so why don't you just throw it in the trunk of Peters lark before they ship it to me. I am looking for a 4:55 so I can take that little lark to the drags this summer. Seems like the 4:55 cars were putting up much better times.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock

59' 4E2 122 Scotsman Deluxe V8 4spd curb side fender

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I have 2 Champ truck R/A here in Mass. I could take them to York for you if need be. Both are 4.09's. The TT has over 100K on it, but runs well when removed for 3.31 TT I had made up. I have a NOS (almost) here that is open with maybe 500 miles on it....

Comment

John I don't think the gears will work as the axles are larger but I keep it for the the TT section I think they are the same in all 44's truck or car but not the gears...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
            canbstudebakers-
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

If you want anything from a 3.73 or lower (numerical)gearing, it's highly unlikely you're gonna find one for a 1/2ton truck. The 3.73 was the lowest (numerically) that you could get in a half ton and most of those would've been in trucks with an automatic. BUT! If you can find the gearcase assy from a 44 rear out of a car, it'll swap in the housing of a truck rear end, no problem! The parts catalogs confirm the part numbers for the gearcase parts are the same from car to truck.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs, the rear in the truck now is the original 4.27 casing. Years back my granddad swapped the "innards" from a '60 Hawk rear into the truck casing, giving it a 3.54 ratio. I'll leave it like it is if I can't find a Twin Trac.

Comment

I took the Twin-Traction gearing from a 1964 Cruiser and put it into a 1963 Champ 1/2 ton. The car axle shafts are a smaller diameter at the hub end but the splined end is the same diameter as a pickup axle shaft.

1949 2R17
                  R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Matt, I have one here in California. I sent a PM to you.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

Working...
                    X