Towing a GT Hawk/Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a GT Hawk/Avanti II

Plan to acquire early next year a trailer ( open, all metal, dualwheel/elect brakes etc. ) for long trips to show the 63 GT Hawk or 78 Avanti II. Below is the pic of my 1998 21 ft. Chinook with V10 Ford Triton engine, trailer hitch towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. The gas mileage is terrible - about 8 mpg when towing.

Is an 18 ft. trailer sufficient enough or go larger ???
    Any lessons leaned from towing a Stude would be helpfull.

Thx,

Jerry

I can't help you but please let me know how it goes.
    I'm thinking of getting a Dodge Sprinter/Freightliner/Mercedes-based Class B powered by a turbo diesel that also has a 5000 lbs tow rating and was also thinking about getting an open trailer for the Avanti.

BTW: anyone know if those tow numbers are optomistic or is there a "fudge factor" built in?
    I'd like to tow my enclosed trailer with the Bearcat, but that is pushing 6000 lbs.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think you are going to be over capacity.

I have a fairly new 18' car carrier trailer (16' + 2' dovetail). It weighs right at 2,000. Both your Hawk and your Avanti are over 3000.

The trailer will be long enough. I have hauled Hawks and Avantis on mine. They fit just fine on the 16' flat portion of the trailer with room fore and aft.

I would recommend one with a dovetail and 5' ramps. It makes it possible to load low cars or ones with long overhangs.

Here is my Starliner (same wheelbase as your Hawk) on my trailer...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wow! this is going to be the most radical comparison EVER! [^]

1. You have a Dodge Sprinter with a Mercedes Diesel what under the hood?

2. You have a Ford Triton gasoline V10! Wow, plenty of POWER!

I can see how the springs, Chassis and Brakes of either would be rated at 5000 Lbs. towing cap. but what about the ENGINES?

Just how much HP does a Mercedes 4 Cyl.?, or 6 Cyl ? Diesel have? [?]

Will that be like driving a loaded 4 Cyl. Isuzu Diesel Cargo van up a hill? [xx(]

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have two car trailers one is 16' all steel dove tail with the center open-- meaning that the only deck surface is where the tires run up on. This one weight is only 1650lbs, the second trailer I have is 18' dove tail with a full wood deck weight is around 2200lbs, Both work great, suggestion would be that you get a trailer that the fenders are not so tall that you can not open your car doors while loaded on the trailer.

sigpic

Comment

The U-haul type dual axle car trailers weight 1500 lbs. An Avanti is approx. 3500 that's right at your weight limit. I pulled my Avanti with a U-haul dual axle from Tulsa to OKC (120 Miles) with my Ford F-150 (4.6 L V-8) and had to do it with OD turned off and keeping speed down to 55 on grades. When I pulled it 1000 miles to Ohio to Myers Studebaker for restoration I rented a 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax diesel and managed 15~18 MPG.

Your best choice for long distance hauling is a diesel PU and right now you can buy a brand new one for $10K to $15K off the sticker price here in OKC.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

My 5,000 towing capacity on the motorhome is too dangerous to attempt.
              Probably easier to rent a pick-up with a trailer from u-haul for the few trips I plan in 2010.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

I can't help you but please let me know how it goes.
                I'm thinking of getting a Dodge Sprinter/Freightliner/Mercedes-based Class B powered by a turbo diesel that also has a 5000 lbs tow rating and was also thinking about getting an open trailer for the Avanti.
                BTW: anyone know if those tow numbers are optomistic or is there a "fudge factor" built in?
                I'd like to tow my enclosed trailer with the Bearcat, but that is pushing 6000 lbs.
                You need to look at the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of the Class B. This is the number set by the manufacturer as the maximum weight allowable, including towed vehicles. Most RVs are advertised at empty weight (to make them look better). When you add water, fuel, food, personal items, weight of passengers and such, you may not have 5,000 pounds left for towing. Experienced RVers usually reduce the stated towing rating by about 25% to get a "real" number.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters have 5 cylinder turbo diesels in them. The torque is pretty impressive. I currently have about 20 of them in my fleet a Fedex. They seem to take alot of abuse and have more power that I thought they would.

Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

Like the setup Dick has on his Starliner. What is your trucks towing max capacity?

Fla. is flat, no hills anywhere, could get by at 5,000 lbs.
                    How bad is highway travel on our vehicles with Interstate driving and rocks/debri kicked up on our front end windshield and body ?

Plan to trailer the Avanti - AFTER WINTER - to Myer's shop in Duncan Falls, Ohio to do the lowering of the front unless someone knows a qualified shop in Fla. that can do the job.

Jerry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by geojerry

Like the setup Dick has on his Starliner. What is your trucks towing max capacity?

It's a half ton pickup. It has the factory trailer towing package (lower axle ratio, engine oil cooler, tires, shocks, hitch). It is rated at 6,000 to tow. A 3/4 ton longer wheelbase pickup would be better and safer.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think OKC John is close.
                        Another option you may want to think about is to just rent a U-Haul trailer. They are $55/day and you can drag them anywhere. A quality auto trailer is not an inexpensive item

This is the rig than I picked up the 83 Avanti with in Vermont. 1450 miles in two days in air conditioned comfort at 69 MPH on cruise control in overdrive. Of course the tow rig is my son's 8.1 liter/Allison trannied GMC crew cab. I won't argue about a diesel though

Even if you decide to buy please look at a U-Haul trailer as it is setup great for towing cars. The Drivers side fender is hinged to drop sideways for entry. Massive tires, great brakes and tows dead straight.

Bob

Comment

One of the best Stude mechanics I know lives in Tallahassee. Shoot me a message through the forum and I'll put you in touch with him.

He did at least one total, complete front end rebuild on an Avanti II this year. He knows his stuff.

Matthew Burnette
                          Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

I've found towing caps more related to controlling and stopping than getting moving. A good weight transfer hitch, sway control, and dead reliable brakes on both trailer and tow vehicle go a long way to making a trip less stressful. Don't skimp on trailer tires, either !! Seems cheap tires are easily justified by the "I only use it a few times a year." Even in mountains, going up may be slow with less power, but it beats the daylights out of your load passing you while on the way down.

Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                            Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt
                            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

I think OKC John is close.
                              Another option you may want to think about is to just rent a U-Haul trailer. They are $55/day and you can drag them anywhere. A quality auto trailer is not an inexpensive item

This is the rig than I picked up the 83 Avanti with in Vermont. 1450 miles in two days in air conditioned comfort at 69 MPH on cruise control in overdrive. Of course the tow rig is my son's 8.1 liter/Allison trannied GMC crew cab. I won't argue about a diesel though

Even if you decide to buy please look at a U-Haul trailer as it is setup great for towing cars. The Drivers side fender is hinged to drop sideways for entry. Massive tires, great brakes and tows dead straight.

Bob

I'm sure the Ford Navistar and Dodge Cummins are great but the Chevy Silverado Duramax with Allison auto trans was simply amazing. I could pull 70~75 MPH in OD (6th gear) up the steepest of grades and it never down shifted or even new the trailer and Avanti were behind me, I don't know how mpg would be with Ford or Dodge diesels but the Chevy was getting 15~18 mpg.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
                              sigpic
                              John
                              63R-2386
                              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                              X