Studillac 8.7 0 to 60 time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studillac 8.7 0 to 60 time

Hey guys i was just reading jan TW and matthew has and ad in there for the Studillac. In it it says it weighs 3300lbs. and boasts 210hp and a 0-60 min 8.7 seconds. I was just watching the video of Ted Harbit blowing the doors off of that 69 roadrunner 440 4spd. and was posting 12.8 1/4 mile time. So it got me thinking about what my new R2 Regal will do. But I never hear any chatter about 0-60 times with these R sreies Studebakers. Does anybody have any info on there own cars or what about the Stude Tomato, any 0-60 time for the S.T.?

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock

59' 4E2 122 Scotsman Deluxe V8 4spd curb side fender

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

they claim My 05 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 Hemi will do 0-60 in 6 sec., I know 60 is so-so but from 60-100 it's right now...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Contemporary road tests on R2 Avantis had 0-60's in the 8 second range so an un-modified Lark should be there or better with modern tires.

Re: Dodge Magnum...I have a 2005 R/T Magnum also and you are so right about the mid range to top end. The trick with the 0-60 is not to power brake the car just put your foot in it at idle. Love my Magnum.

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

A 12.8 quarter mile car will run 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

And get between 20-25 miles per gal?

Castro Valley, CA
          canbstudebakers-
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Motor Trend's Dec 1963 Road Test of the '1964 Studebaker Super Lark' gives the R-2 4-speed Commander's 0-60 time as 7.3 seconds.
            I have watched Ted at the PSMCD's and you can be certain, that 'properly prepared', and with an 'experienced driver', it can run a lot quicker.

Comment

I have watched Ted run and drive the 63 once at the PSMCR and at other times at nationals, what a thrill, something every body should get a chance to do, I know Ted loves to race but how much longer???? us that have Studebakers and like to go fast then Ted is the man, I think he could get a 6 cyl. to run good numbers stock, thanks Ted for the good times and for being a good Studebaker person, there will only be one Ted Harbit, I also enjoy watching the others race their Studebakers Richard, Peter, and the rest since I am from California I don't get to see them as often, you people that live close have a good thing so enjoy it as lone as it last, thanks again Ted....Bob

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

How much longer? What a question. I have been a fan of Ted and his Studebaker's ever since he was first mentioned in a small column in Hot Rod magazine way back in the early '60s, when I was only a junior in high school, I showed that mag around to all my best buddies and bragged of how someday that I was going to work for Studebaker!
                Well, I'm now going on '61 years old, and Ted is still racing, and most of those old teen school friends that I showed that article around to, are now pushing up daisies.
                One passed away at 14, another at 28, and others as the years rolled by. All any of us have is today, and it might be the last.

No one, no matter how good they are at racing their Studebaker, is ever going to be 'another Ted Harbit'.
                All the rest of us can do is take a good and lasting lesson from this retired teacher. Stop with the making of excuses, and get out there every day, and start doing, and working at getting consistently better at doing whatever it is that [u]you</u> do.
                Ted is the 'genuine article', a living, working, example of passion and commitment. One that I'm certain will be the same today and tomorrow, and if he ever does decide that he has had enough racing, he will 'still (and always) be The Man'.

Nope, as much as I have admired Ted I cannot say that I'll ever expect to live up to that ideal, however, throughout all of these years he has been one of the most positive inspirations in my life. At times when life's many trials have got me down, I recall Ted's humble demeanor, and steady progress, inspired by his example, how often I was able to again raise my head, square my shoulders and face another day.

Comment

FWIW, Ted's R2 is tuned beyond anything which ever left the factory, has a close-ratio 4-speed, 4.10 or 4.56 gears, lots of suspension work over the years.

If a mega-buck guy spent a $100,000 as the FAST guys routinely do, he could have a blueprinted supercharger with a race-only impeller, extrude hone the intake and exhaust manifolds, run a cheater cam and rockers, custom suspension with new front and rear springs and shocks, there's more in an R2 and certainly an R3.

I'd bet for $100k expenditure, we could see one of our Studes in the 11-sec range, with a 4-sec 0-60 time. But if it came up against Ted Harbit driving the Stude Tomato, that $100k car wouldn't win every race.

Merry Christmas, Ted and Mary Ann and thanks for all the great years of keeping real Studes on the strip.

jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

What can I say? Thanks to Lark Parker for emailing Mary Ann and telling her about these posts from Bob, Jessie, and Jack.

I am very humbled by all those kind comments. As I'm sure most of you know, I kept the same car (Chicken Hawk) since I bought it in 1961 while most others would get a different car every year or two. This gave me the time to experiment and find things that worked and those that did not. For example, when I installed air bags, I finally found that by putting 24 pounds in the right and 5 in the left, the car would hook much better and come out straight instead of drifting to the left as it usually did.

Over the years, you can learn a lot about what works and what doesn't and that explains a lot of the success we had with the CH and a lot of that works with the Tomato also. The first year (1962) I ran the CH at the Nationals, it turned 16.90 @ 80.9 mph. The last year we ran it (1972) it was turning 15.40 @ 87+.

Richard Poe has accomplished a LOT with his R 1 (probably the quickest R 1 in the country [world]). I know he has spent endless hours testing many different things and has found what works with his car.

Also, I'll bet Richard can tell you about what is a good zero to 60 time is as he has one of those "G Tech's" and has spent hours using it. And you might be surprised to learn his R 1 can turn a zero to 60 time as quick or even quicker the the R 2. The assumption is that this is possible because of the higher compression of the R 1 and the supercharger of the R 2 is not putting out much boost at low speed plus the extra hp it takes to turn the supercharger.

Just an interesting side note, the CH would go from zero to over 111 mph in less than 6.5 seconds.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to respond and offer thanks for the kind words. Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas, will have a Happy New Year and a Great 2010!

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

Motor Trend's Dec 1963 Road Test of the '1964 Studebaker Super Lark' gives the R-2 4-speed Commander's 0-60 time as 7.3 seconds.
                    I have watched Ted at the PSMCD's and you can be certain, that 'properly prepared', and with an 'experienced driver', it can run a lot quicker.

Comment

It has always amazed me at how so many ppl are just concerned with going fast in a strait line.I would rather have a car that handles corners better than one that is fast in a strait line,but having said that my Lark(which isn't an R2,its just plain jane 170)takes about 20yrs or so I think to get to 60.Yeah,thats about right

Comment

Thanks for the respond Ted, always nice to hear from you, and sure hope to see you in AZ. in May. Ian and I will be there if not the rest of the family since they are still in school....Bob

Castro Valley, CA
                        canbstudebakers-
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

John Raab runs an R1 clone at the Pure Stocks and his low end is strong enough to get out on lots of faster cars. He wins races by getting out quick and that increases the chances the other car will make a mistake.
                          Richard
                          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hopsBB

It has always amazed me at how so many ppl are just concerned with going fast in a strait line.I would rather have a car that handles corners better than one that is fast in a strait line,but having said that my Lark(which isn't an R2,its just plain jane 170)takes about 20yrs or so I think to get to 60.Yeah,thats about right
                            It may be straying a little off topic, but I would like to submit my observations as to what might be one reason or factor in this.

In the rural farm area where I grew up, and first learned to drive, there were virtually no curves to be found, as the entire County, and most of the region was laid out in neat one-mile square grids of roads, with 90 degree intersections at which you either had the right-of-way, or a stop sign.
                            It would have been a 20 mile or more trip for me to even find a paved curve significant enough to test, or press to my cars handling abilities. (and then it would have been the only one or maybe two real highway curves to be found within a 40 mile radius)
                            Oh for sure, there were some 'backwoods' sand trails that one could throw their vehicle about on at perhaps at a breath-taking, and death-defying 25 mph. throwing up a lot of sand and dust.

But with all those long paved straights, and plenty of STOP signs to bomb away from, it was the natural challenge to test ones vehicles acceleration capabilities, and prowess with the clutch and shifter.
                            And a few afternoons spent with friends watching drag-races did nothing at all to suppress that inclination.

Comment

quote:Posted by hopsBB

Spoken as someone that has never spent nights in a dingy garage with a couple of his best friends totally engrossed in making a small motor run at it's best and then towing it to a local dragway to see how your tuning stacks up against the others that have spent their nights the same.

The adrenalin pumping as you try to control it enough to cut the tree just right. The shifter in hand, the feel of the rear tires trying to spin as you accelerate of the line, eye on the tach just waiting as it hit the revs just before the torque starts to flatten out. Drill a shift, the seat reaccelerates as the tach climbs again. Then finally after as many shifts as you have gears, it all ends. Coast to the end and return to the pits with a grin that's tattooed to your face.

And the best part of drag racing is you get to do again and again all day.

It is probably the only sports we unwashed masses can rub shoulders with the giants of the sport. Your in the pits with the elite. And when a (at that time) a 3-4000HP AA fueler fires and the ground shakes. The smell of burnt nitro fills the air and you are in Nirvana.[]

Thanks for the comment, it brought back fond memories.

As a thought on Ted: You can buy a very fast car but it take a real driver to win. And there are few of them like Ted.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X