Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID

I bought an engine with number P98238 stamped on the block and the last three casting numbers on the heads is 570. This should make it a 1963 289. Looking down the spark plug holes you can see that it has flat top .030 over pistons. Shouldn't this have dished pistons? If it has flat tops it may have had a 259 crank installed? Is there any way to tell what engine it is other than checking the stroke?

Thanks for your input!!

Rob

You're right a regular 289 would have had dished pistons but the R series engines had flat top pistons. If the engine is in very good shape a compression test might give you a clue. A 1963 289 with regular heads and a flat top piston will give you a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. That should be about 150 to 180 on a compression test. Compression much lower than that would imply it's been converted to a 259, but the compression test alone is no guarantee.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

It's not an R series and the engine is currently not in a car so unable to check the compression. It appears that maybe it was rebuilt flat top pistons. Is there anything on a crank externally so you can tell without pulling stuff apart?

Thanks!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rayoung55

/Cut/Is there anything on a crank externally so you can tell without pulling stuff apart?/Cut/
        No, you need to pull the pan to read the casting number on the front counterweight. Easier to measure the stroke from the spark plug hole.

So it does have a full flow oil filter or block-off plate on the lower right rear right?

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is a full flow block block. Will check the stroke.

Thanks!

Comment

I just take a piece of thick stiff wire and hold it down into the spark plug hole parallel with the cylinder bank and with my other two hands, turn the crank until the wire stops going down; mark the wire to correspond with something, then turn the engine until the wire won't go up any higher and mark the wire there. Measure between the marks and that's the stroke.

Comment

I checked the stroke and it does appear to be a 289. Looks to be the 3 5/8 stroke. It should have a pretty hefty case of compression.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Rob

Comment

Working...
              X